General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

What is my V70 actually worth?

Old 12-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Default What is my V70 actually worth?

I have a beautiful 2000 V70 that has never missed an oil change. I have every document of everything done to it. I recently put in a boatload of new parts for all kinds of unrelated things, but now the dreaded ETS light is on. If the car has been fixed for every nit-picking thing its entire life and I have documents to prove it (new drive train, new sway bars, new control arms, new oil seals, new thermostat and hoses, etc) -- What is my best bet? Throw another $800 at it or sell it and to whom for how much? There is zero trade in value and I reckon there are about $3,000 of new parts from this year alone! Thank you for selling advice. I know she's a good car, but I don't like all this repair crap and I'm ready to just make car payments. And she currently resides in Denver Colorado if anyone wants her right now!!

Old 12-21-2018, 01:55 PM

The value varies - trade in value is always much lower than private sale value. The value depends on the features, mileage, condition (both appearance and mechnicals). You can use KBB.COM to get a market estimate just to have an idea. If you want to judge retail values, try searching for similar models on web sites like autotrader.com. My guess is its trade in value is between 500 and 1000 (note that dealers are not really buying your car, they are just giving the illusion of a discount and will wholesale your car off. If the car were in good condition and had moderate mileage (ie 150K) it could be worth 2000 in good condition

In terms of the car needing an addtional repair, you should assume the buyer would discount the market price based on the retail cost for the repair up to the point where the car would be worth more as a parts car, so even if it needs its ETS rebuild (cost is about $300 to $400 depending on who you buy from) plus another 200 to remove install unless you do the work. RochaTek and XeModex are two names to look up. If you get that fixed, then you'd be back to "good condition" or you can price the car $500 below retail value to see if you can find a DIY buyer who'd be happy to fix the ETM and get a budget ride with many new parts.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:06 PM

Thank you for your timely and informative reply, which basically validates what I thought: I'm a total idiot to think I should repair this car in the first place - it's just been a domino game since February, when the heater core went out. So, now I'm not sure what to do - become an "aficionado" of old Volvo V70s and toss another $700 at it or just cut my losses. I am so not a Do-it-yourselfer" - thanks again!!

Old 12-21-2018, 03:13 PM

In true Christmas Miracle-style, I started the car today to take it into the shop and she did a little ladylike fart and the light went out and hasn't come back on. So, I may keep her for a few more months!! Happy Holidays, everybody and thank you mt6127!