General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Why do you own a Volvo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do you own a Volvo?

^Cool. I only ask because the background doesn't look like USA.

Are there a lot of Volvos in Puerto Rico?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 PM

Most of us in the family own a Volvo. It's like a tradition already. We all love Volvo. Great car that gives comfort and security.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:14 PM

I have always wanted to own a Volvo, admittedly for the safety factor. However, now that I own a Volvo (2000 S80T6) there are so many more reasons. Iwill never own any other type of car if I have any sayso in it. The comfort of the seats, the awesome stereo system, the quality of everything in it and the best thing is IT IS SO FUN TO DRIVE! I LOVE MY VOLVO! I just got it out of the shop (my teenage son hit a deer with it) and I was so glad to get back in it and out of the 2007 Ford Taurus rental car I had. It is amazing that my car which is a 2000 drives and rides so much better than 2006 & 2007 models of other types. The bad thing is since is it so fun to drive I got a speeding ticket right after I purchased it. I have owned many brand new vehicles, Nissan, Ford, Chevrolet, Chrysler and none compare to the used Volvo I now own. Volvo For Life!

Old 10-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Needed a car in 2005 as my daughter was getting her license and I was giving her the Camry that I had been driving. Looked around and found my 02 S60. Bought it with the idea that I would drive it for 3 years and then turn it over to my son when he turned 16 and get myself another car. After about 2 days of driving I decided that my son was definitely NOT going to get the car as I liked it too much. It was the right size, felt solid, got good gas mileage and looked pretty good in the process. Plus it was a Volvo and I had always heard about how safe they were. Couple of month ago we started looking for a car for my son who turns 16 in April 08. Knowing how much I loved my S60 I started looking for an 850 or S70 that was in good shape and the right price. Found a 96 850 GLT which we bought for him. It has front and side air bags, 4 wheel ABS disc brakes and of course the Volvo reputation. Pics of my cars can be seen in the Wheel Upgrade S60 850 post in Sights and Sounds.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

1. My parents gave me my first Volvo. My mom's old 1995 850 NA.

2. We traded that in for my 1999 s70 AWD.

That is why I own a Volvo.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because I've had a Taurus(head gasket), a Caravan(transmission), a Winstar(electrical, lousy integrity), a Firebird(carb., leaks), a Fiat(not enough room to explain problems) Infinity G20(rust bucket) etc............................................... ...I do like Buicks ! !

Old 10-25-2007, 04:02 PM

I own a Volvo because Volvos have character and the best luxury vehicule available. Moreover no one does a wagon the way Volvo does it. I had german cars ( 2003 BMW 525, Audi A4 2003 , nice cars but the cost of ownership is unbeliveable). I have always been a Volvo fanatic and owner a 90 740 wagon ( from 90 to 98) , a 98 S70 from 98 to 2002 , a 2000 Volvo V70 from 2000 untiljune ( traded for an Audi A4), I missed the V70 so bad that in december 04 I got a 2004 V70 which was traded yesterday for a 2007 Volvo V70. In few months the 03 BMW 525 is going to be replaced by either an 08 V70 or S80. I just love Volvo

Old 12-01-2007, 10:56 PM

I just recently got into a Volvo. I have to say Im in love with my C70, its fast sporty and blue . I've always owned American cars and trucks, I think this is my first in long line of Volvo or atleast imports. The car is well put together, looks sharp and sweet as hell. Of course theres the down side of $$ parts and such but hey.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:01 AM

Argentine drivers are kamikazee and have absolutely no respect for others. We live close to a highway where nobody respects the speed limit. I got my 96 850 T5 because I wanted a heavy, safe car for my family. It cost less than a 2002-2003 Brazilian garbage with doors as thin as paper, so the choice was obvious. The turbo engine plus the safety make a nice duo.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:30 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: axelm

Argentine drivers are kamikazee and have absolutely no respect for others. We live close to a highway where nobody respects the speed limit.

Axel, are you sure you're referring to Argentina, or actually Japan? In Japan, the concept of "respect" no longer exists[8D]. Everyday is filled with humiliations whether you're on the road or not.

JPN

Old 12-07-2007, 04:29 PM

Living in Sweden, it was a no-brainer to choose a Volvo this time. I needed a wagon with a hitch to handle a wide range of transportation needs, the next cargo will hopefully be a newly rebuilt 650 pound 428 Cobra Jet engine for my 1969 Mustang Mach 1.

I wanted a car with an automatic transmission and leather upholstery and a couple of weeks ago I found a reasonably good 1994 850 Turbo for a reasonable amount of money, and I bought it.

I've had several Volvo's over the years, but it was almost 20 years since the last one and comparing the 850 with the 544's and the 14x's I had before is like comparing a Model T with the starship Enterprise. I haven't had the 850 a month yet and I'm still surprised at how effortless it is to drive it.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:27 PM

Hello,
I own a Volvo for several reasons. First off, I feel that Volvo has the nicest looking line-up of cars out there. Also, they have cars that are economical, safe, functional, and quick (Turbo models.) Also, I love the way they feel and I agree with my father when he says, "When you are in a Volvo, you feel connected to the road instead of just riding it." They have an amazing feel, and great features. I can't see myself actually buying another manufacturer. I have considered other brands, but when it comes down to the purchase, its a Volvo. (Unless its a truck, and since Volvo doesn't make pickups, its Ford hands down!)

Old 12-30-2007, 08:38 PM

i used to clown on volvos when i was in UTI (universal technical institute) from 2004-2005 cause it was the easiest manufacturer's program to get into after school. then i thought they was just weird with 5 cylinder engines.

but i got into my C70 cause of my training at UTI. the buy-here-pay-here dealer i bought it from had a bunch of problems with it and couldn't figure none of them out. i figuered all of them out right there on the lot and the dealer didn't know i put everything back the way i found it and he gave me a great deal to take it away.

now that i have had it for a few months it has grown on me. i get looks from other luxury car drivers. i like it mainly cause i don't see alot of 2 door volvos like theother mainstreamcars (350z, 300c, mercedes etc.)

i also like it cause it's a real challenge to make it a decent tuner car, but i will make it a head turner with everything i know about cars, so look out for me

Old 12-31-2007, 04:02 AM

Why do I drive a Volvo? Well, I have liked the lookof them for ages, but they have a stigma attached to them in Australia (they are perceived as an old man's car, driven by senile fools). An Australian saying is "Bloody Volvo drivers!".
Anyway, the time had come where I was sick of supposed Japanese reliability and cheapness of maintenence, and Japanese cars are boring frankly. Australian cars are piles of junk, so they were ruled out.
I needed and wanted a large rear drive wagon, that was easy to repair, had a high specification interior and would be reliable and cheap to fix. We have nothing in Australia that has such a high specificationin a wagon as far as build quality, specifications and rear cargo area size. Performance parts availability was also a factor for me. Researching the 7 series sold me on them. I was considering an 850 wagon, but I wanted a turbo if I bought one, and they were just a bit out of my price range.
I have found in Australia, that buying cars that were made for large international markets is the cheapest way to go, with greedy parts suppliers here often charging a fortune for "european parts" and Japanese components. With teh Volvo, I can order online overseas and with freight, still be cheaper on some parts. They are still simple enough as far as electrics/ electronics go to be able to be repaired at home as well, a huge bonus.
Then there was the personality of the car. Definitely has a Scandinavian feel to it, sensible, well built, everythign done for a reason but quirky and a bit crazy (1990's turbo stationwagon with 16" alloy wheels and leather??) for a great price!
I wish I'd bought a Volvo 10 or more years ago now.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:14 AM

This thread is getting old and your project is probably over, but it seems to have taken on a life of its own. I first bought a Volvo S70 in 99 when my wife was expecting our first child. So you can say we bought it for safety first. If you ever get to research their history, Volvo has been the leader in safety decades ahead of other manufacturers. With the guidelines today, the others seem to be catching up, but the innovator always has the lead. Since our first Volvo for safety, I have noticed that each different car has its own personality beyond a normal automobile. We have owned an S70, V70, and currently an S40. While I haven't named them, it does not surprise me that many have. It is true that Volvos as a whole are more expensive to maintain, but you can see the attachment that owners have. It is especially evident in my current commuter S40. It is among the cheapest of the Volvo line, needing synthetic oil, high octane gasoline, and many Volvo brand parts that should not be replaced by generic alternatives. But something about that little car just makes it a blast. I love it despite the expense. I love it despite the CEL light acting like a Christmas tree, although it hasn't gone off in about a month. It's just a fun car that I have become very attached to, as many others have. While many people are brand loyal, Volvo owners view their cars as family members. Just read around the forum. As many problems are shown and complained about, you don't see many or possibley anyone getting rid of them. In fact most have multiple Volvos and are looking for more. Anyway, way longer than I wanted. But here again, get someone talking about their Volvo and you can't get them to shut up.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:58 AM

LOL to add to this neverending thread....

I bought my first volvo, a 1993 classic teal green/blue 850when my wife and I got married three and a half years ago. The only reason I bought it is because my friend sold it to me for $1500 US and it was worth about 5k at the time, and Ithought it would be a safe car for her to drive. I still have it, albeit shreddedseats, no grill, primer spots all over, dented on every panel(a few places where I lovingly kicked the car...), cracked oil pan, dash lights all over, sunroof off track.... I hit a deer with the car going 65 mph and got $3500 from insurance... it cost me $300 to fix!!! It was then I realized I had a tank on myhands... my wife drove that car while I had 5 differenct vehicles... until I finally bought a 98 V70 T5... and a 96 850T wagon... LOVE EM!!! Shout out to all those on the forums who helped me fix em!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: 65mustang

....................While many people are brand loyal, Volvo owners view their cars as family members.................

Old 01-05-2008, 07:34 PM

cause i got mine for free

Old 01-23-2008, 05:19 AM

I never imagined i would by a volvo due to the stigma of being an old mans car however i was told Audi was the way to go! So i test drove an audi A4 (was naff, bog standard and drove like an old car!) Tried an A6 with 110,000 miles on it, it was a bit more executive but drove like an old motor (sloppy gearbox, handling response etc.) when i parked it up it was next to a S60 with 190,000 full leather and all the bits etc i took it for a drive and allthough i didn't want an S60 in those colours it drove like a new motor, responsive, tight, etc. That was it i was hooked if a car can do 190,000 and still feel like new!
I eventually forund a Black Volvo S80 T6 SE (in my opinion the highest you can get) heated seats, sat nav out of the dash, 272 bhp the list can go on i was indeed happy with my purchase. This car is now hired out as one of our executive cars and all but one driver has now uograded their cars to volvo's!! The ride is smotth , comfy and the car is a lot faster than people imagine!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:39 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I was merely renting the 850 from my boss at O'Hare. My boss's cousin was the owner and he neglected on many things, so I nearly rebuilt the car (may be an over-exaggeration[8D]).

However, with its mileage & age, the body was rust-free and the turbo-charged engine, at idle, was as quiet as a Lexus.

Someday when I make enough $ to buy a new car and if Volvo comes up with a car as aggressive as the 850R, it would be on my shopping list.

JPN

Quick Reply: Why do you own a Volvo?