General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

winter tire pkg

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter tire pkg

I know, I know, I may be way ahead of this topic, but I like planning ahead so.....what's the story with winter snows? For those in the part of the country or countries that need them that is. This is my first Volvo (2002 S60 base model) and am using it as a commuter and passenger carrying car. I absolutely love it and haven't used my truck (Toyota Tundra) since purchasing S60 in August. It came with Bridgestone G009's on it (Brand New), but want to run a dedicated set of snows storing the summers. Done some research on Tire Rack and am thinking of going with the Bridgestone Revo's. All they offer in the 15 wheel tho is alloys not steel. Once I bump up the tire size to 16", they offer the steelies. What is a better choice for winter 15" or 16"? I have used Tire Rack before and really like how you get your tires and rims delivered to your door already mounted and balanced with all the hardware and no tax. Any input, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Default RE: winter tire pkg

What kind of snow are you going through? East coast/lake/wet snow or plains/dry snow? The Revo should do well in keeping your car on the road in the wet snow but it won't really make a difference in the dry stuff. If you're going to slip on powder or black ice you'll do it with or without A/T tires. We have a saying in Minnesota...if you own a car, buy your friend with 4 wheel drive lots of beer during the off season so he owes you a favor or two. LOL...jk.

I don't know if you'll really notice that big a difference between 15" and 16"....aside from the potential to get more traction by slightly deflating your tires with a 15" (more rubber you see).

Old 09-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Default RE: winter tire pkg

Oh yeah...type of snow...sorry for leaving that out. Well, I live in Northern Vermont so East Coast Conditions. No dry snow. The past few winters its been wet & heavy or slush or black ice or packed mix (ice & snow). My other vehicle is a Toyota 4WD Tundra so I totally agree with having a neighbor with a 4x4. Been there done that for some folks through the years. We picked up the s60 for better mileage and on really really bad days I'll probably be out in the truck but there is always those times when the weather hits and you least expect it so for the added insurance I wanted to run dedicated snows. I even do that on the Tundra plus it saves the rims from the nasty salt mix. Thanks for your response and insight. Any others run dedicated snows and if so size, rims, tire brand???