General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Wiring question

Old 02-11-2016, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring question

Hey guy's/gals I own a 2002 s60 AWD (turbo) Runs great have to put money in it for typical i.e. starters, alternators etc etc.... Anyway last summer my neighbor backed into my car. The drivers side headlight was damaged so I bought a new one online and apparently it was some chinese crap...the plug didn't fit...I turned it over and the plug fit (sort of) but the lights didn't work right....I ended up pulling a wire out of the plug and rearranged the wire into a different slot and was able to get both low beams to work. The high beams when I turn it on only one works... I can't pass inspection till I either buy another 200.00 light or hardwire the harness...The question is I just want to cut the plugs off and join the wires together so that everything works right..so will this put stress on the alternator? Or will I damage anything while I use trial and error finding which wires to join together? does anyone know which wires go where I think two wires from the headlight are joined two one wire on the harness but not sure which one...in other words you have the plug two wires would be in one hole plugging into the harness where only one wire is on the female end.....

Old 02-11-2016, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

to the forum conleyhouse

Don't have an answer for you but hopefully someone will be along soon.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:10 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Cutting plugs out and joining wires directly is a good thing and will work better than the plugs do. The plugs are just for convenience, mostly during assembly.

You could also splice the old plug onto the new light.

Joints in your wiring, including the plugs, are either harmless or add resistance, and resistance makes your lights dim, but it won't hurt the alternator. You won't want the engine running while you are playing with this anyway.

As far as the wires, get a test light (cost about $2) and you'll see one circuit is for bright and one is for dim. One wire will be a ground wire.