General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Wouldn't shift out of park-then it did after cycling

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wouldn't shift out of park-then it did after cycling

I have a '12 C70 which has been great and (mostly) trouble free for 10 years. Easy to get spoiled. Anyway, here in the Northeast we had a heavy snow storm and temps in low teens with sub-zero to single digit wind chills. Not sure if that matters, but today after shoveling out I went to move the car and could not shift out of park. No familiar click from the shifter solenoid. I thought it might be frozen, so I let the car run for about 20 mins with the heat on high, but still stuck. On a hunch, and I don't know why, but I decided to try turning the engine off, removing the key and trying again. It then worked. I have since tried it a few more times while moving the car around and it's working.
I checked with my reader (thinking it's possibly computer controlled) and there are no stored codes. I can probably eliminate the brake switch and fuse, also probably the solenoid itself. Is there anything I'm overlooking? Just one of those things or a problem festering? Is the solenoid controlled directly by the switch, or is it controlled by a module?
Thanks for your help.
Joe

Old 01-30-2022, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

You may want a "deeper scan" from a dealer or shop as not all code readers can read the full code set for proprietary codes and measurements. I'd suspect the shifter's PNP switch may have had some moisture making for a bad contact. You may want to do a "shifter row" to see if you can clean up the contacts should it happen again. Its also possible the brake pedal position sensor was stuck or is slightly out of adjustment.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I just went out again for an errand, all is good so far. I assume by "row" you mean to go back and forth a few times, so I did that. I thought about the switch position, but the solenoid releases with light brake pressure so I think that's OK. That said, it certainly could be a connection. The part that sticks out to me is that simply turning the car off and immediately back on "fixed" the problem. Sounds like something reset, possibly. I may do what you suggest and have the OBD read with a VIDA system. I go to an independent shop which specializes in Volvo. Save a lot of money that way.
I'm trying to find out if the signal to release comes from a control module or directly from the switch. So far my search is fruitless.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

yes, you simply turn the key to unlock the shifter (engine off) the go from Park to Lo to Park like 20x fast. Idea is that its enough to scuff up the PNP contacts to resolve the issue (at least temporarily). I've had to do this on both my 850 and S40 but eventually I wound up replacing the PNP switch on both (like a year or two later....). A good trick to try if you are in a pinch.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
yes, you simply turn the key to unlock the shifter (engine off) the go from Park to Lo to Park like 20x fast. Idea is that its enough to scuff up the PNP contacts to resolve the issue (at least temporarily). I've had to do this on both my 850 and S40 but eventually I wound up replacing the PNP switch on both (like a year or two later....). A good trick to try if you are in a pinch.
Still working, but I've got nothing to lose by "rowing" it. I'll do that next time out.
Thanks

Old 02-01-2022, 10:42 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Joe,
Do you park on a hill?
Every few years I go brain dead and turn off the engine while in "Drive". I discovered once when I was on a hill that after I had put it in "Park" and let the car roll back that it would not start when called to do so. I called AAA and while waiting decided to get out and 'rock' the car then I tried the ignition. Started up. I have since used this two other tines and it worked both times.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:49 PM

Sorry for the late response. I wasn't on a hill and my P-brake was set. I don't think it was mechanical. Simple on and off and it worked, plus it's worked fine all week. An anomaly? Hope so.