Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

BEST exhaust C70

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST exhaust C70

Any one have any experience with purchasing or installing an aftermarket (not OEM) ? If so what brands would you recommend for: sound, quality, performance, weight, etc. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: BEST exhaust C70

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have had experience with an aftermarket exhaust system. I had one locally made for my 1995 850 N/A when I had that car.

As far as experience with one that is premade no I don't have that experience. However a lot of people do buy the premade systems and love them.

1. What year and model c70 do you own?

2. What is your budget like?

3. EuroSportTuning (EST) has an exhaust kit for the $629.95 this is for the 1998-2004 models. They also have the HEICO kit for the 2006-2007 models for $799.00 which is currently on sale and also another HEICO system for $1,439.00 which is also on sale. With HEICO your really paying for the name brand.

4. Viva Performance (VP) has a kit for the 1998-2004 models for $629.99.

5. IPD USA sells a kit for 1998-2005 models for $695.00. They do not have a kit for the 2006-2008 models.

Honestly sound is personal preference. I have heard an EST kit and an IPD kit. I liked both. As far as weight goes you can see how much they weigh on their websites. As far as performance goes you should see about the same with each kit. Your not going to gain gobs of power, 10-15 Hp max is what I am guessing. Quality is about the same, and shouldn't be an issue.

Personally I would check out local muffler shops that can mandrel bend and have them make you a 2.5" mandrel bent system with a free flowing muffler that has a straight through design such as Magnaflow and BORLA.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:28 PM

It is a 98. How much did the local custom one cost, and how do you like it? Since I am currently just looking around I don't have a budget yet but I would like it to be as inexpensive as possible without buying crap. Ya obvioulsy sound is the most important, and not sounding like a rice burner is my goal lol. I am def. a Volvo noob, but I do know a solid amount about BMW's eventhough it doesn't seem that the aftermarket scene is quite as big. Thank you for your help.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:31 PM

ORIGINAL: jrfly9

It is a 98. How much did the local custom one cost, and how do you like it? Since I am currently just looking around I don't have a budget yet but I would like it to be as inexpensive as possible without buying crap. Ya obvioulsy sound is the most important, and not sounding like a rice burner is my goal lol. I am def. a Volvo noob, but I do know a solid amount about BMW's eventhough it doesn't seem that the aftermarket scene is quite as big. Thank you for your help.
The aftermarket scene for Volvo isn't big at all, but we have a loyal following. However this isn't good enough as this is why all our aftermarket products are so exspensive.

Well I don't have that car anymore. But it cost me $320 about. However it was a crush bent system with a free flowing muffler. I should have gone with a baffled muffler since I was N/A.

What you want is a mandrel bent system with a free flowing straight through design muffler.

If your local muffler shop can mandrel bend they could probably make you a system for upwards of like the same price of a premade system and as low as what I paid for mine possibly.

Go online to sites such as YouTube and StreetFire and listen to video/sound clips of Volvo's with exhaust systems. You should be pleased.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:07 PM

Another significant upgrade to an exhaust is to completely remove the catalytic converter, or switch to a high-flow cat.

You never, NEVER, want to decrease the diameter of your exhaust on the way out. Either start with 2.5 and go to 3+ or go 3" all the way out.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:25 AM

In most states removing the CAT is illegal and you wont pass inspection. With that said yes an upgrade Hi-flow CAT is a good addon when your upgrading your exhaust system.

And no your wrong...

Having a 3" downpipe to a 2.5" catback system is perfectly fine and you will see good performance gains. A lot of people do this in their Volvo's. Reason being is that they are not upgrading their turbos to something bigger thusly 2.5" does just fine.

Ex: I have a 13g turbo. This is a small turbo. If I wanted to upgrade it lets say to a 16t and I was going to do exhaust upgrades I would def. do a full 3" turboback system. However if I wasn't going to upgrade the turbo then a 3" downpipe to a 2.5" catback system would be just fine. You could go 3" as well, but most people don't just because they aren't upgrading the turbo.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:13 AM

Going from a larger diameter downpipe to a smaller diameter exhaust, goes against everything I've ever read, seen, been told about turbo-exhaust systems.

Prior to buying my Volvo, I owned 2 DSMs (90-99 Eclipse, Laser, Talon). Both of mine were 1st Gen AWD Turbo Talons. Even on the stock 14B, the first stages of modification included a 3" turbo-back exhaust OR a 2.5" downpipe to a 3" cat-back. I've not seen any situation where you'd do this differently with any turbo or normally aspirated car either.
I'm not saying you won't see gains from a 3" dp and 2.5" exhaust, but you'll see more gains with a 2.5" dp to 3" exhaust or full 3" exhaust. The reason being, the faster you can expel the exhaust gasses from a turbine, the better. Lots of us used to run a 6" length of 3" diameter pipe from the o2 housing on the turbo straight down. A free-flowing turbo is a happy turbo.

I know that modifying or eliminating the cat may be illegal in many states, but that hasn't stopped tuners from doing just that 364 days of the year, then bolting up the stock exhaust for inspection.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:44 AM

ORIGINAL: alecw81

Going from a larger diameter downpipe to a smaller diameter exhaust, goes against everything I've ever read, seen, been told about turbo-exhaust systems.

Prior to buying my Volvo, I owned 2 DSMs (90-99 Eclipse, Laser, Talon). Both of mine were 1st Gen AWD Turbo Talons. Even on the stock 14B, the first stages of modification included a 3" turbo-back exhaust OR a 2.5" downpipe to a 3" cat-back. I've not seen any situation where you'd do this differently with any turbo or normally aspirated car either.
I'm not saying you won't see gains from a 3" dp and 2.5" exhaust, but you'll see more gains with a 2.5" dp to 3" exhaust or full 3" exhaust. The reason being, the faster you can expel the exhaust gasses from a turbine, the better. Lots of us used to run a 6" length of 3" diameter pipe from the o2 housing on the turbo straight down. A free-flowing turbo is a happy turbo.

I know that modifying or eliminating the cat may be illegal in many states, but that hasn't stopped tuners from doing just that 364 days of the year, then bolting up the stock exhaust for inspection.
Well if you like it or not many people in the Volvo world have done this and are doing this. A full 3" system isn't needed if your not upgrading your turbo. It wouldn't hurt, but it isn't needed. If you are upgrading your turbo then yes you should go full 3".

You will see the most gains with the downpipe. The catback system is a part you wont see the gains you do like with a downpipe upgrade.

I'm not totally disagreeing here with you. I am telling you what I know Volvo owners are doing. And that is doing 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a 2.5" mandrel bent catback systems. And most that upgrade their turbos do a full 3" mandrel bent turboback system.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:12 AM

Just because most Volvo owners modifying their exhaust do it, doesn't make it right.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:15 AM

ORIGINAL: alecw81

Just because most Volvo owners modifying their exhaust do it, doesn't make it right.
1. I never said it was right or wrong.

2. I am giving people information on what other Volvo owners do, like. Also what works for them.

3. Just saying going 3" is the only way to go isn't the only option. Just because you have a turboed car doesn't mean 3" is best for you. And by saying going from 2.5" to 3" is better then 3" to 2.5" is just crazy. Most Volvo owners would rather have a 3" downpipe then a 2.5" downpipe trust me. They would also rather have a 3" downpipe to 2.5" cataback rather then a 2.5" downpipe to a 3" catback.

Now with that said. End of discussion.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:58 PM

Eeecchh... why tell people to remove the cat? Not only will it not pass emissions, in some states like CA, that's a big time no-no and will give you nothing but trouble. Just go with a free-flowing cat or CARB approved in those states.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:47 PM

if you have a decent custom place near you then go custom - heres a pic of mine - it's 2.5 inch mandrel bent cat back with 1 straight through box on it:

here's a short comparison video of it as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpXGw4wizTE

HTH

Old 08-04-2008, 11:02 AM

That sounds decent.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:30 AM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

That sounds decent.
thanks! it was exactly what i was after!