Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

best exhaust repair product

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best exhaust repair product

Ive nailed down the exhaust leak on my 850. Its where the very 1st part of the baffled section (flex pipe) meets the manifold (header)

I tried a muffler paste...it just hardened and then came off.

What product out there will adhear to metal that aint perfect?

Is there a putty that will work? I know the JB weld putty is strong, but doesnt mix with heat or vibration.

Any ideas? Since the baffle isnt flat, I dont see how any kind of wrap could work.

I have the car idling fine now, needed a new IACV. Has a bit more pep as well. Now if I can just get it to be quiet!

Old 03-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Pretty much any of the band-aid patches you try to apply in that area won't stand up to the heat. If you can pull the pipe off a muffler shop might be able to piece something in there.
Photo might help.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
Pretty much any of the band-aid patches you try to apply in that area won't stand up to the heat. If you can pull the pipe off a muffler shop might be able to piece something in there.
Photo might help.
I just bought 2 products off ebay.
Both say they are able to handle heat of exhaust systems.
Neither are products found in any of the local auto parts stores.

PC Products 025543 Putty High Temp Epoxy 1 oz Pkg Brown | eBay

Custom Accessories Exhaust System Repair Kit 29105 | eBay

My thinking is to do the putty 1st, then the wrap over it.

Ill snap a pic tomorrow of where the issue is.

I really wish volvo had made the flex pipe further down the line. Its to low to get to easy from the top and to high to get to easy from below!

Im affraid to try and unbolt the manifold, as I know that if a stud snaps Im in for costly repair work. I may also not have the proper tools for the job.

I wish I had a grand, Id take the car to a shop and have the whole exhaust system replaced. The flex pipe leak is the worst, but the whole system shows wear and the tail pipe (all the way upto the muffler) is full of holes. Last 8 inches of the tail pipe is just gone.

gotta be honest, this car deserves a owner with the funds to treat her right. She may be 19 year old, but having only 130k on her she has many more years left to go. I just am short on cash and need to fix the "have to's" and wait till next tax season when I will have more cash.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Is the break before the flex pipe or in the flex pipe? Seems if it was before you could have it welded.

Nothing you put there in the form of an epoxy or putty is going to stay. Can you get a picture posted of where this is?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Is yours a turbo ??

The problem is vibration and heat. At best that epoxy is rated at 500 deg and they likely are being generous at that.
Rolling down the highway you're likely to meet and exceed that temperature in that area of pipe.
BUT ... it's a cheap stab at it and maybe it will hold.

Putty, High Temp Epoxy, 1 Oz Pkg, Brown

Model: 025543 SKU: 657989

Max. Temp.500 Degrees F Temp. Range-20 to 500 Degrees F

Old 03-10-2013, 12:25 PM

Its a non-turbo
Leak is right where the 1st rib of the flex meets the manifold.
As you can see, the previous "exhuast" paste didnt say on.
There was another small leak on the flange past the flex pipe. Sealled that fine.

My thinking is that the putty might stay in place with the wrap over it.
I know anything I do is a patch, but 6months to a year is what Im looking for.

Name:  PHTO0326.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  60.0 KB

Old 03-23-2013, 06:36 PM

well, after trying a few different products(some rated to 2000 degrees)
nothing would stick.
Its not just the heat, but vibration as well as the pipe not being totally clean, you cant get all the rust off!

But I found a way to fix the leak on my flex pipe! Header wrap!!!
The only thing that you can put on a exhaust part that isnt bothered by heat, vibration (it doesnt harden really) and doesnt care if the pipe is rusty as it doesnt bond to it.
Its not fun to put on (gloves needed) but you just start at one end...apply the stainless steel zip tie, wrap down the pipe with alot of overlap and zip tie at the other end.
So I have patched my flex pipe hole. But I have another one somewhere by the cat
but a roll of 1 inch wide x 30' with 4 steel zip ties was only $15 shipped. I bought a second roll and will use it on the cat when I figure out where the hole is.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Best exhaust repair product.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 PM

Best exhaust repair product.
LOL, nice
Let me refrase then, best exhaust repair product UNDER $30

I have the flex pipe patched. But im fairly sure the cat is clogged. the exhaust is still a bit loud and has a rattle sound when accelerating hard.
It has a sticker good for a year, so I will just cut it out and replace with straight pipe for now.

I would love to do it the right way with a performance exhaust like that.

But I assume that set is at least $300?

Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Just make sure if you're going to work on your exhaust you keep yourself safe. Be like me and only use quality American raised 2X4s to hold the car up.

Attached Thumbnails best exhaust repair product-0000-never-ever-ever-ever-1.jpg  
Old 03-25-2013, 07:17 PM

Just make sure if you're going to work on your exhaust you keep yourself safe. Be like me and only use quality American raised 2X4s to hold the car up.
that pic leaves me speechless!

I took the car to a shop, so it could be put on a lift and I could find out where my remaining leaks are.

There is 1 pin hole past the cat. and with the car running, you can hear a piece of metal rattling around just past the cat. Push up on the pipe just right and the rattling goes away.
Im fairly sure the cat is clogged/rotted on the inside.
I have more header wrap on the way, which will fix the pin hole easy.
I think I will be cutting the cat out, and putting in a straight pipe.
That shouldnt make it louder, will it? I mean, the muffler quiets the car, not the cat.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 AM

Your problem is that it looks like the leak is a break in the flex pipe. No fixing that, since it is designed to flex, which would not allow anyting sticky to adhere. Ya might have to take it to a muffler shop and have them replace that for you, they can make you a pipe without a cat if that is legal for your car, and they shouldn't break any studs.