Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

catback systems comparisons / picks

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question catback systems comparisons / picks

(WARNING: LONG POST, MULTIPLE QUESTIONS)

ok, i have finally decided (and now able) to get the exhaust upgraded a bit. now i have some questions...
(oh, its a yellow '95 t5-R sedan)

EuroSportTuning ($429) has:
http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/me...Code=VL-850-en

IPD ($625) has:
http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?st...170&V_ID=10911

the EST site specificly says it lowers back pressure. this is my first exhaust work beyond replacing an OEM muffler on an 82 GM, but ive heard that loss of backpressure is a *bad* thing...is this different from turbo and N/A cars, or why would they advertise it? -confused

i like the look of the EST system, looks more refined instead of bare metal. but, its under the car, who's going to see it anways. then, there is the $200 price difference. it seems that IPD's motto is 'you get what you pay for', and having purchased from them in the past, i understand why. but why $200 more? what am i missing on the comparison which would make that large of a difference?
both 409 stainless, both 2.5"

im leaning to the EST system for the 5 yr warrantee, vs IPD's 2 yr, the optional oval tip vs round tip only, and of course, $200 cheaper.

i did notice they have it for $629, but with a line thru it, and $429 under it... is the item on sale?

and then...theres this ($559)

it looks awesome, probly sounds a ton nicer, but how much of an upgrade would this really be for performance? seems this only touches on the last 1/4 of the exhaust system, would feel like im missing out on the rest of the system...
----------
question 2) neither come with a downpipe... from what i have seen, it seems to depend on what kind of turbo i have. i have no idea the type, i just know its the oem turbo for the T5-R. i cannot for the life of me find ANYTHING on the web that helps. all i seem to find, is literally 1 item on ebay, which is just a gasket, youtube / xfire videos, or people speaking of their custom 3" downpipe. am i terrible as using google, or do i have to get a custom downpipe manufactured? would seem to be a fairly common part to have upgraded, i would expect at least something out there, but i cant find it!

thanks for any time / effort / ideas / comments you may contribute!

EDIT: i found a downpipe at EuroSportTuning
http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/me...Category_Code=

should i worry about the ECU before doing the downpipe? after finding this one at $1100, i cant afford the cat system and downpipe together. i have about 600-800 to spend total. my other option instead of the exhaust was to get either the RIP kit (from either ipd or EST), or *maybe* the ECU. the shipping and waiting on the ecu to be remapped would put kind of a pinch on my work commute, but its possible. i dont have enough to cover the core charge, so ordering one shipped and return my old one is out of the question.

Last edited by flamejet; 03-18-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:16 AM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Turbos hate back pressure. so you want a straight through design on the mufflers, and up to 3in piping. 2.5in is a good streetable upgrade, and will be fine for most power outputs these cars will make. 3in will be slightly louder, and has more head room for upgrading power. A 3in downpipe with a high flow cat will make the most difference. Prefab downpipes cost A lot. for the $1000 the downpipe cost....just go to a local shop and you can get a custom turbo-back made for that.

Now...The two sites have different exhausts. IPD sells Ferrita brand and EST makes their own....I believe. Both cost the same, so that $400 is probably a sale item. They will both offer the same performance IMO. You will have to listen to the exhaust on youtube and see which you like better.

Will you be buying the exhaust and installing it yourself?

I ask....because if you are going to have a shop put in on, then I would just get a custom one done at said shop.

Do the ECU upgrade after you settle with exhaust and intake setups.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flamejet
(WARNING: LONG POST, MULTIPLE QUESTIONS)

ok, i have finally decided (and now able) to get the exhaust upgraded a bit. now i have some questions...
(oh, its a yellow '95 t5-R sedan)

EuroSportTuning ($429) has:

IPD ($625) has:
http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?st...170&V_ID=10911

the EST site specificly says it lowers back pressure. this is my first exhaust work beyond replacing an OEM muffler on an 82 GM, but ive heard that loss of backpressure is a *bad* thing...is this different from turbo and N/A cars, or why would they advertise it? -confused

i like the look of the EST system, looks more refined instead of bare metal. but, its under the car, who's going to see it anways. then, there is the $200 price difference. it seems that IPD's motto is 'you get what you pay for', and having purchased from them in the past, i understand why. but why $200 more? what am i missing on the comparison which would make that large of a difference?
both 409 stainless, both 2.5"

im leaning to the EST system for the 5 yr warrantee, vs IPD's 2 yr, the optional oval tip vs round tip only, and of course, $200 cheaper.

i did notice they have it for $629, but with a line thru it, and $429 under it... is the item on sale?

and then...theres this ($559)

it looks awesome, probly sounds a ton nicer, but how much of an upgrade would this really be for performance? seems this only touches on the last 1/4 of the exhaust system, would feel like im missing out on the rest of the system...
----------
question 2) neither come with a downpipe... from what i have seen, it seems to depend on what kind of turbo i have. i have no idea the type, i just know its the oem turbo for the T5-R. i cannot for the life of me find ANYTHING on the web that helps. all i seem to find, is literally 1 item on ebay, which is just a gasket, youtube / xfire videos, or people speaking of their custom 3" downpipe. am i terrible as using google, or do i have to get a custom downpipe manufactured? would seem to be a fairly common part to have upgraded, i would expect at least something out there, but i cant find it!

thanks for any time / effort / ideas / comments you may contribute!

EDIT: i found a downpipe at EuroSportTuning
http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/me...Category_Code=

should i worry about the ECU before doing the downpipe? after finding this one at $1100, i cant afford the cat system and downpipe together. i have about 600-800 to spend total. my other option instead of the exhaust was to get either the RIP kit (from either ipd or EST), or *maybe* the ECU. the shipping and waiting on the ecu to be remapped would put kind of a pinch on my work commute, but its possible. i dont have enough to cover the core charge, so ordering one shipped and return my old one is out of the question.
STAGE ZERO should be done first... Which includes

Plugs
cap/rotor
oil/transflush
filter (oil)
silicone hoses (the little vac lines)
samco hose kit or Stylin Motors Inc. (Turbo Models ONLY)
02 sensors
fuel pumps
clean injectors
clean IC/IC plumbing (Turbo Models ONLY)
Air filter
plug wires

*Yes can easily run you $200+. But it is worth it to know your car is in good working order before you mod and blow something.

Basic maintainence procedures to get your car up and running the way it should be from the factory. Add a boost gauge. Yes your car probably came with one on your dash. Once you start to upgrade it is worthless. Let alone it is basically worthless in stock form. You'll want one that can read 25 In Hg / 25 PSI. Autometer makes a nice gauge so does DEFI. Gauge pods can be bought from http://www.gaugepods.com a.k.a LOTEK.

1. Turbo vehicles don't like back pressure. So since your a T5 you have a turbo and thusly you want a free flowing exhaust system... Example a full 3" turboback system. Meaning 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a 3" mandrel bent catback system with a Hi-flow CAT and straight through design muffler like BORLA and MAGNAFLOW.

3" mandrel bent downpipe to a 2.5" mandrel bent catback system with a straight through design muffler will do just fine as well. You will however in either situation see the most gains from a downpipe upgrade.

Mandrel bent gives you the most free flowing exhaust possible. Crush bent increases back pressure.

Personally I'd go the custom route. Probably cost less in the long run or close to the same. Aluminized Steel or SS material, 2.5" catback system with Hi-Flow CAT and a straight through design muffler such as BORLA and or a MAGNAFLOW. Or go the 3" route.

2. N/A vehicles (Natuarlly Aspirated) like back pressure so you would do either a crush bent or mandrel bent 2.25"-2.5" catback system with a baffled muffler like a FLOWMASTER. However since your turboed refer to number one above.

3. That dual exhaust is for the AWD models. Your not AWD. Now that isn't saying you can't make it work. You'd have to cut a hole in your bumper for it to exit out the back.

4. FYI, IPD USA is always way over priced. They have exceptional service and products, but they are over priced. EST is another great Volvo aftermarket company as well and have good products.

5. Since your a 1995 850 T5R you have a 15g turbo made by Mitshubishi and it has a Conical flange on it.

http://www.quickbrickmotorsports.com...lange_list.htm
Good application chart to look at here.

Also your not looking hard enough. I have provided this forum a huge list of websites in the VOLVO FORUMS RESOURCES THREAD, which is posted in basically every single sub forum of the main forum. https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/volvoforums-resources-thread-7317/ That is the main resources thread that gets updated.

* Also Volvo's even though there are a lot of us modding them are not common cars to modify. Thusly performance parts are going to be expensive and hard to come by.

You might have to do a custom downpipe since your flange on your turbo is conical. You can have this done at any local shop that can madrel bend pipe. There might be downpipes on the market for conical flanges, just haven't seen them. You may also think about upgrading your turbo to a 1996 850 T5R which is the same 15g turbo you have but with a striaght flange which for the most part all Volvo aftermarket companies that sell downpipes should have.

6. DO NOT DO AN ECU UPGRADE unless that is all your going to do. You should do all your other engine mods before doing an ECU upgrade. Because an ECU upgrade can be flashed/mapped for your upgrades and it will take better advatage of what you have done to your car already. An ECU upgrade should be done last.

FYI IPD's 850 ECU upgrade is around $695.00. Viva Performance offers RICA tuning and right now is on sale for $674.99 original price is $749.99. These are two of the best ECU tuners for Volvo. Yes they cost a lot more then the lesser quality ones and you'll see why if you go with a lesser one and go to a better one like IPD or RICA. The lesser quality ones like SpeedTuning USA, Upsolute and Inmotion usually make people run RICH, not a good thing and range in price from $300-$400 or so. I use ST USA and while it gives me the power punch it isn't a good tune I don't recommend getting one. Go with IPD USA and or RICA. FYI, I only went with ST USA because I went through a group buy and it was dirt cheap and all I have done basically engine wise is an ECU upgrade.

7. The available RIP kits are junk. Do not buy into them. Waste of money for just under the hood looks. You'd be better off building a FMIC system (Front Mount Intercooler). Which can be done for around $500 for a decent system.

No you say you have this to spend and that to spend. You can easily spend what you have to spent or more just on a downpipe. Be it prefabbed or custom fabbed. Like wise same goes for catback system's. I have seen some go for over $2k and downpipes upwards of $1,500. Choose wisely what you want to do to your car. Also you don't have to do it all at once. Do a catback system then a downpipe down the road and then an ECU upgrade later on... Or do a downpipe... catback... ECU upgrade. Either way do the ECU upgrade last and it isn't needed. However if you want to gain the full potential of your turboback (downpipe and catback) system then an ECU upgrade is a good idea to go with. It will also help with the extra stress your going to be putting on the engine. Because more power then was intended for a car is putting more stress on it. But with these minor upgrades your engine/car will be fine. But as always mod at your own risk we as forum members and the forum as a whole are not responsible for what you do to your car and consequently whatever happens to your car good or bad. Also note you see powers gains on their websites, take these lightly as you may or may not see these gains.

Last edited by S70driver; 03-19-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you both for the info!
Originally Posted by S70driver
STAGE ZERO should be done first... Which includes

Plugs
cap/rotor
oil/transflush
filter (oil)
silicone hoses (the little vac lines)
samco hose kit or Stylin Motors Inc. (Turbo Models ONLY)
02 sensors
fuel pumps
clean injectors
clean IC/IC plumbing (Turbo Models ONLY)
Air filter
plug wires
i have done all on that list, minus the IC/IC and silicone vac lines. will look into that, as you said, i dont want to blow anything in the process

also, i think it was in tech's upgrade thread, where he changed the conical for a straight - is this an easy change, or would there be some modifying involved? im seeing a man today about a volvo he found in a junkyard (rare in these parts), for some wheels i could use for autocrossing, was going to check on that flange while i was there. i dont know the model/year of it yet, but that link to the flange/turbo reference is a big help, i'll print it and take it with me. the flange is a part of the entire turbo, or is just that one component changable?

also, when asking about a custom downpipe, is it literally just a pipe connecting? the pic of the downpipe i linked, looked like it had some other junk in the middle of it, maybe some heat shielding, looks like a 2nd cat converter, and the o2 ports. what would be attractive to ask for from a shop when requesting a custom pipe? i know of the ss, mandrel bend, but would a shop create a system without a cat converter? this is probly different based on areas, but i think its illegal to remove a cat converter completely from the system, in my area.

EDIT:oh, i will be doing this myself - i live in whats better refered to as a villiage than a town, less than 3k people in the population. the dealership is 35 minutes away, and in the opposite direction, is the closest guy that will work on volvo's is again 30 minutes. there is an exhaust/brake shop in town, but i wouldnt trust him as far as i can throw him, he has a bad rep for exhaust work, and vehicle damages while in his possesion.

Last edited by flamejet; 03-19-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can also buy used to save some dough.
Check around swedespeed and volvospeed in the for sale section.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:37 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Downpipe has a flex joint, which is what you are probably thinking is a second CAT. Yes they have 02 hookups. Otherwise your going to through codes not having them hooked up.

Depends where you are. Don't go CATLESS just get a Hi-Flow CAT and you'll be set.