Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

flat flange exhaust elbow for 94 850 turbo - what works?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flat flange exhaust elbow for 94 850 turbo - what works?

wanting to install an IPD 3" downpipe/2.5" exhaust on my 94 850 turbo but have read that i need to convert my elbow to a flat or conical one. seeing Tech's pix of the flat vs conical makes me want to go with the flat since it appears to be a larger opening.
what year car (volvo) am i looking for re: this piece, and will either 5 spd or auto tranny model make any difference? (Mine is an automatic.)
what are some sources in the USED market? i am squeezing myself dry to get the exhaust so i cant spend a ton.
lastly, how big a job is it to convert? now that i am missing a couple of discs in my neck (not to mention bifocals), knowing what has to come off to make the change makes a difference to me ....do I have to take the turbo itself off to change the elbow?
looking for some experienced advice... havent done much more than change axles and front struts on the volvo. 5 bypasses and a stroke slowed my car work down but i HAVE rebuilt mustangs, etc. end to end before! (but then, most things on those and older cars arent as crammed together!!! LOL)
rich in winston-salem NC

Old 02-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a conical, you need either straight or angled exhaust housing. Auto or manual doesn't matter, it's part of the turbo, not the transmission. Only way to find one is by a private seller. Look for someone parting out a car, check Volvospeed. Straight are roughly $40-50, angled are usually ~$80. Angled are far superior to straight, much more flow. Tech said you don't need to take out the turbo but I think it's easier to do so, you'll have the exhaust out anyways.

Four bolts on the housing to exh manifold, two on bottom to oil return line, two hose couplings on cold side, three on hot side for the DP (they are an extremely tight fit), three on top of the turbo for water and oil feed lines, one on DP that holds a bracket that holds the DP snug, need to take off to pull the DP over the studs on the exhaust housing. Once turbo is out, one bolt on clamp that holds hot and cold sides together. Take off clamp, VERY CAREFULLY remove exhaust housing, put on new housing, repeat process. You will need a new oil return line gasket on the bottom of the turbo, and 6 or 8 copper crush washers for oil/coolant feed lines.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Check for 96 turbo's alot of them have the straight if that is what you want.