New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

1st time Volvo owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time Volvo owner

Just ordered my first Volvo last week (Feb.1, 2018) and estimated delivery is first week of April.

i was coming off a 3-year lease, driving a Mercedes ML350. Before that it was a Mercedes E350 lease. My wife and I both want to continue with an SUV, but wanted to try a different vehicle this time. The ML350 is getting a refresh for the 2019 model year and I did not want to wait that long for another MB.

We considered the BMW X3 and the Audi Q5, along with about 4-5 other brands. Volvo was not even a consideration, having seen them in the past and not really liking the dashboard or the center stack looks. A traffic jam detoured us past a Volvo dealership and we decided on a whim to at least see what Volvo offers. We were pleasantly surprised by the looks of the XC90 and XC60. With the kids grown and out of the house, we do not need 3 rows and focused more on the XC60. After 2 test drives, one alone and one with my wife, we decided thhis was worth switching,

We wanted to like the BMW, but the arrogance of the sales staff (we tried different dealers, different times) made it an easy decision to walk away. We also wanted to like the Audi Q5, but there were quality control concerns and strange rattling noises during the test drive. The salesperson was patronizing and waved it off as plastic tape and nothing to worry about. Again, disappointment.

The Volvo sales person was friendly, knowledgeable, accommodating, and we made a deal for a new 2018 XC60 T5 Inscription with the Advanced, Convenience, Heated Seats, and Vision packages. We did not want to pay for the expensive massaging seats as the standard comfort seats were very comfortable as tested, neither did we want to pay for the expensive stereo system. I love music and would have loved it, but the standard stereo is good enough for us. We opted for Osmium Grey exterior and Maroon Brown interior leather colors. Since this is a combination package that our dealer did not carry and a combination he could not locate elsewhere, we decided to order it from the factory. Now the waiting begins and I am constantly looking at YouTube clips of the car we soon hope to call our own. Almost 62 years old and still able to get excited about a new car.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:23 PM

Ive owned MB's and Volvo's, both plural.

Id pay 10k over market for a Volvo against a free MB.

MB has a decades old rep they are running on. Nice car until issues arise
which they will. Once that happens, you or your mech will find the work of
some very dedicated quite sick engineers design work.

In a Volvo your trips will be much more pleasant AND much safer too !

Old 02-10-2018, 07:52 PM

Thanks, TnBob, good to know that I am making a good move.