New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

2005 Volvo S80 2.5 T vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2005 Volvo S80 2.5 T vibration

Hello All,
I have a 2005 Volvo S80 2.5T. The car was running perfectly in Arizona but once I shipped it to Michigan and unloaded it from the shipping trailer it was vibrating very badly on idle with low rpm (fixed at 600 rpm). I took it to a mechanic and we did the following but it still have the same issue:
1. Brand new Busch ETM
2. All engine mount are replaced
3. New AFM sensor.

- No engine light at all
- Clean air filter
- No vacuum leak (Checked by the mechanic)
- Spark plugs replaced 15K (Volvo OEM)
- PCV is not clogged
There is some smoke comes from the oil dipstick when I pull it but the mechanic said it is normal and it happened to any car as far as the oil is clean and it doesn't look milky.
The mechanic said that he can't find any other reason could cause that!
Is there anything that could cause the ? I really appreciate any response.
Thank you very much in advance!

Best Regards,

Jameel

Old 02-24-2017, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

smoke from the dipstick could be condensation burning off - assuming as you noted, the PCV is not clogged (the rubber glove test is a quick check) and you are not losing coolant with no apparent signs of leaks... Also some of the CEL codes need a few miles to set. I'm wondering if the ride stirred up some water in the fuel - did you also try some dry gas? Try running 93 octane for the next few tanks if you are not in the habit of using premium. I'd also look around for air leaks - vacuum lines/ intake path from turbo to MAF.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:55 PM
Default Glove test

Thank you very much for your reply. The car still behaving the same and now I am thinking it could be the PCV.
1. I added Dry gas to the fuel tank and drove it for some time and it still the same
2. I have always used 93 grade fuel
3. After performing the glove and I even used a plastic bag. The results showed no vacuum at all and the glove was inflating ! I talked to the mechanic and he said that's normal! I argued with him that there should be suction/vacuum from the top of the engine and not a positive pressure. he insisted that it is not clogged and no leak.
4. The coolant level is normal and it is pure (no oil)
5. I will check for leaks by my self even though my mechanic said no leaks are showing.
6. I also noticed a hesitation in the car. I've owned the car for 4 years and it used to always accelerate faster.
7. I forgot to mention that all oil changes and maintenance was performed by Volvo in Arizona (Synthetic oil)

The only thing I could think of now is the PCV after doing the glove test.
Again, thank you very much mt6127 for your great advice and please let me know if there is anything that I missed. I will keep you updated once I have some new news of the car's status.

Best Regards,

Jameel

Old 05-12-2017, 08:48 PM

Update. I replaced the whole PCV system and I found out that the small hose near the banjo bolt (Passenger side) was clogged with gunk and totally blocked ( See pictures) and after replacing the whole system, the car is much better and has vacuum from the oil fill and no more smoke.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Volvo S80 2.5 T vibration-img_2.jpg   2005 Volvo S80 2.5 T vibration-img_3339.jpg  
Old 06-23-2017, 01:30 PM

Same exact car and I have the same problem, replaced everything including the $100 on volvo spark plugs. I just did the whole PCV tubing/rubber last weekend and it is better, but it is still hung up at wanting to idle at 600 and shakes...and no codes.
Did you have to do a throttle body adaptation or anything else? Drive it for a while?
Did the ETM or AFM [I assume you mean MAF] help?
Lastly, did you notice which banjo bolt went where [intake manifold or engine around by turbo] I didn't notice until I was reassembling that one has a check valve.

I would appreciate any help.