New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

2009 XC70 Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 XC70 Motor Mounts

Hello to Everyone,

I’m replacing the motor mounts in my 2009 XC70. I have the 3.2 L 6-cylinder motor, VIN No. YV4BZ982291065316. I’ve replaced all but one of the five mounts. The mount I'm having trouble with is the torque rod damper (shown below).

I’m a new owner of this vehicle and don’t know all of the history. The problem is, I can’t figure out where this damper goes. I’ve watched many videos with other model Volvos to get an idea. I believe what has happened is that a previous owner had the damper (shown above) as well as the housing or the lower torque mount bracket shown below.

So, I believe the damper slides into this convenient space in the frame with a single bolt to secure it in the middle. (1st picture is w/o damper, 2nd is with and the 3rd is a close up)

Looks like the torque damper mount fits in here

nice fit

even the holes line up well
Now, I am hoping that the tongue of the damper connects to the lower mount bracket. I believe the lower torque mount bracket affixes to the transmission via the two holes that I marked on the below pictures in red. (I’ve also circled the torque rod damper in yellow for reference).

Notice the holes for the torque mount bracket (in red) and the damper tongue (in yellow) are off center. However, the torque mount bracket is curved to compensate. Also, notice that there is a notch machined out of the bracket (in green) to allow passage for some metal tubing.

Moving forward, I ordered the torque mount bracket and also 4 bolts, (two for the bracket, one for the connection between the bracket and the damper and one for the damper to connect to the frame.

If anyone has any input or ideas, please let me know. Thanks to everyone.

Last edited by Ronhim; 05-26-2020 at 02:42 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-31-2020, 07:55 AM
Default Update and unfortunate quandry

Hello to All,

Since my last post, I received the Torque Mount Bracket. Unfortunately, it was more than likely the part, however, it could not be mounted to the vehicle.

I wasn’t sure about the size of the part I ordered. I couldn’t find any specs on the mount, i.e., 9.5cm wide and 45cm long. Also, when looking at the schematics, you have an angled view. So, I assumed that the bolt holes in red belonged to the mount. They obviously did not.

I now believe that this vehicle had had some serious damage to the transmission at some point in its history. I’m guessing it bottomed out and actually damaged where the mount would fasten. (shown in purple)

So, I am now left with the decision on what to do next. (Again, any and all suggestions welcome!)

I have had this vehicle for over a year now and have place a considerable amount of money replacing the front and rear struts, 4 of 5 motor mounts, new tires, brakes and battery. This car has always had a clunky noise coming from the front. I assumed it was a few of the items listed above. I now know exactly what the clunky noise is.

I changed the transmission fluid (using the “trade out” method 3 gallons total) and it wasn’t burnt, like toast. But it did have a particular odor like that of old cooking oil; and the color was very dark.

I ran the car for 500 miles and swapped out another gallon of transmission fluid for good measure. It too had the spoiled oil smell and was surprising dark. I’m believing this transmission is on its way out due to being ran with no lower mount for almost 25k miles. This vehicle has 177k miles.

I think it is a very wise decisiin to have an authorized Volvo Technician who is familiar with Volvos to complete a thorough inspection prior to buying any used vehicle. This is my lesson learned. Thank to everyone for reading and I look forward to any replies.

Ronhim

Old 10-18-2021, 09:38 AM

Hi,
Have you been able to find a solution to this problem? I am about to replace the torque rod and am faced with the same dilemma of not knowing where and how to fit the torque mount bracket, nor knowing whether it is actually the correct part.

Thank you,
Lorenz

Old 10-19-2021, 08:54 AM

Got in touch with volvo dealership and they told me that Volvo XC70s with 3.2l. engine from 2008 to 2011 didn't have that torque rod installed (parts 31277781 and 31262935). From model year 2011 they apparently changed the automatic gearbox.