1990 740 Transmission Problem - Mechanic in Columbus, OH?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1990 740 Transmission Problem - Mechanic in Columbus, OH?

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. My dad got me into Volvos (had a 82 240 manual as a first car and a 86 760 during college) so as my first problem I can not solve since leaving the nest, I am throwing my problem to the masses.

I have a 1990 740 automatic with 165k on it. I got the car at around 140 and it supposedly had changed the fluids then so I have not had them flushed yet since I have owned it. Over the last week it began to shift late from 1st to 2nd, getting about 1k higher rpm before it shifted. Then I was on the freeway going about 60mph when the car suddenly downshifted and put me at about 4500-5000 rpm (usually cruise at around 3k) and would not shift back higher no matter how long I took my foot off the gas, as soon as I stepped down it would go back to 5k rpm and not shift down. So i coasted to the side. Put it in park and then back to drive, it worked fine for the rest of the street drive home on the streets (35mph max) besides shifting late from 1st to 2nd.

I got home, checked the transmission fluid and saw that it was a little low and so I topped it off with some ATF that my roommate had (which was dexron 3 and I now know should not be put in my transmission).

The next day it was driving ok and I had to get to work so I was driving on the freeway doing fine and was going 65 and suddenly it does it again: shifts down, throw me to 6k rpm and will not drop through the gears or go back to the top gear. I pulled off the road at a friends house and have been trying to figure out what is wrong since then.

Epilogue: I did recheck the ATF when I got to my friends and realized I may have been on an incline the first time I checked the fluid and when i added more am actually a hair over the max.

Questions:

1. could this be the kickdown cable? the car was warmed up the first time and cold the second so does not seem related to the temp of the car. Where do I find it and how do I check it?

2. Could this have anything to do with the fluid? Too high? too low? Or Does this have anything to do with the dexron i put in it? I know i did it after the first time the transmission downshifted on me so I dont think so, but just want to make sure. I am going to get the fluids changed when I start-to-work-on/take-in the car so at least that problem will be solved.

4. Solenoid? or one of the rubber valve ***** is worn? just throwing things out there at this point.

3. Cash is tight so i want to make sure I either get good advice and fix it myself or go and find a mechanic with information so they will not screw me over. I am a new resident of Columbus, OH. Is there anyone local who knows a good shop or can come check out the car and help me diagnose?

Thanks for all the help!
Sam

Old 08-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem

Hey Sam, Any luck diagnosing your problem? I am experiencing the same thing. Car shifts late through all gears and will not shift to top gear properly. Also continually downshifts while traveling at 55-60 so your driving at redline. Would appreciate any input. Thanks, Sean