New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

98 S70 for my daughter

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 S70 for my daughter

It'll be her first car and I've always liked the reputation the older Volvos enjoyed about safety (I'm not as familiar with the 99 Ford owned and up models) and knowing my girl it gives me a little peace of mind knowing she will be driving basically a tank on wheels.

It's in beautiful condition and the engine seems to purr like a kitten. The turbo is a blast! (Mixed feelings about that last feature) All in all, I am just looking for a car to get her to school and back for the next couple, three years. Seemed like the car for me at a reasonable price of $3100. I am bringing it to a Vovlo mechanic this week to be sure there is nothing majorly wrong with it and to get a list of things to do in order of importance. I do expect to spend some money on a 15 year old car but I have plenty of time to spread the fixes out. My daughter won't even be taking drivers education until March of 2014!

PS: thanks to this forum, I've already fixed the radio and found out several things to keep an eye on, thanks guys!

Old 11-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like you have already purchased the car? If so, congratulations. That is the car I got my daughter for her high school graduation. She drove it through college and is still driving it (graduated from college May 2013).

Those are very safe cars but by no means a TANK. The turbo can get her in plenty of trouble. I had to tell mine that she would be paying for her own insurance if she got just 1 speeding ticket. Not sure if she ever has but I seen plenty of reasons for her to have done so with the GPS she was using (it stored high speeds).

Have fun and let us know if you have any questions.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the warm welcome and the video, very informative. You're right about the turbo, hence the mixed feelings about it. I have already laid down the law about speeding tickets and the poor girl doesn't even have a permit yet, HAHA! (If she has any of my genes though, I can't reinforce that rule enough though ) By the way, what make and model is that GPS? Sounds like a good Christmas present for both of us!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

It was a cheep Garmin. Most people use their smart phones these days. However, they drop off line for no reason sometimes and create what can be a dangerous situation.

I had to make a guess during a trip to Mt Rushmore. Drove 20 miles before the darn thing picked back up and showed me I was going the right way. Also, if it drops while in town and you try to reconnect while driving it's worse than texting. I lost 2 new tires trying to program a GPS while driving. Hit a curb.