Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

My daughter totaled her Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My daughter totaled her Volvo

HI.
As you already know I gave a Volvo 850 to my daughter for her graduation, But today she totaled it, roll over, she is ok with only a little scratch on her forehead, They took her by ambulance to the emergency room where they did hundred's of xrays, blood test, scanner, they couln't believe that the only thing she had was this little scratch .I am going to Montreal on Sunday to help her take care of insurance concern,as soon as I come back I will try to post pics of the car, I didn't see it yet but My dad told me that there is not a part of the car that is not dented. The top came down about 2 inches,winshield broke. She was upside down in the ditch, Shewas panicking at firstbecause, when she took her seatbelt off she was a bit confused and tried to escape from the rear wiondows thatdoesn't open enough to go thru, aNice man passing by stopped and calmed her down so she was able to unlock the doors and open the driver window, She had the car for about 1 1/2 months ... I am glad I bought a Volvo, that is probably what saved her life. They had an Ice storm over there and she braked in a curve. It make me feel a little better to share and talk about it with my Volvo friends.
The reason I bought her a Volvo is because I wanted her to be safe, The day I bought the car I told my wife If I buy anything else than a Volvo and something happen to her I will never forgive myself. I Thank God for protecting my Baby Girl.

Thanks
AJ

Old 11-24-2007, 12:44 AM
Default RE: My daughter totaled her Volvo

Good to gear your daughter is safe. I hear many horror stories of kids driving Cavaliers with 1 star safety ratings - you made the right choice for her!!

Old 11-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! That story brough a tear to my eye I have to admit. Since all three of my kids drive Volvos, I know where you are coming from. One of the reasons I bought my first Volvo was that I contracted to NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Administration) back in the early 80's. The walls were plastered with Volvo's in crash tests. They literally set the standard for safety that other cars were measured against. Then my in laws bought an 83 760 Turbo Diesel and I borrowed in one day. Within six months I had my first Volvo and been driving them every since.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear she OK. Bought a 96 850 for my son for the very reasons you have noted. Hope he never wrecks it but if he does I feel he stands a better chance of coming through it unscathed.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Thank God she is ok.

I too put my kids in a Volvo for the very same reason. He was in an accident with the 850 on Labor day https://volvoforums.com/m_71689/tm.htm

Kind of scary the amount of stories we are starting to hear about kids and accidents. Just glad all has turned out well for everyone so far, and glad we were smart enough to put them in a safe car.

Glenn

Old 11-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad she is alright!!!
Glad you got the Volvo to keep her safe.
Thats all I will be buying for my kids as well.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Default RE: My daughter totaled her Volvo pics of car

Hi, Just came back from Montreal.
Here are pics of the Accident: I would like to have your opinion: Is it fixable? I know I can find the front parts of the car,hood,2 front doors,Bumper etc the only thing is the Top is dented. the 4 doors are opening properly. I though If I can find a White 850 with blown engine for cheap... I don't really know tell me what you think.

this isher only scratch

Old 11-26-2007, 11:56 PM

With the relatively low value of these cars, that one is most definetely totaled.

You want to check the front bumper support to make sure it's not ruined. It doesn't sound like it would be smashed, but take a look at it and see if it's still in good shape. If it's not, you're risking safety with a crashed front support. I would also look at the roof which you say is dented somewhat. If the frame of the car is compromised, the car isn't going to hold up as well in a crash.

With the time and money that you will spend swapping motors (buying/installing body panels), you'd be better off just using the insurance money and buying a new car.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with RedTurbo. Especially with the top dented the integrity and ability of this area to survive another crash may be comprimised. Take the money and find another car.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

If you can find another Volvo with a blown engine, take the engine from yours and put in that car. I would not even attempt to fix the wrecked one. Way too badly damaged.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:33 PM

I am amased that the 4 doors still open properly, these car are built like tanks., the topwent down about 2" in the middle that's what broke the windshield.
Thank you all for your post.
AJ

Old 11-30-2007, 06:57 PM

You could probably make a bit of money selling the engine, transmission, radiator (probably damaged, though), window motors, window switches, stereo, and other stuff on ebay.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:52 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi AJ,

Another story to prove that Volvos are the safest cars available to the public. The totaled 850 was an invaluable lesson for your daughter, as well as for all of us, that buying a Volvo over other makes can save a person's life. So, would you go for another 850, or something newer?

In Japan, Volvos are literally referred to as "tanks".

In Sweden, people's lives & safetyseem to be valued very well; Japan is the absolute opposite; money>lives[8D].

JPN

Old 12-02-2007, 10:50 PM

Exactly why I bought a Volvo. Last car was a Buick that went over about 3 times with the front roof support spar clocking me in the head so bad my memory drops off 10 minutes before the wreck happened and picks back up 2 1/2 days afterwards. Take what you can from insurance and see if you can run down a whole one, seems like too much trouble to begin trying to save that guy