New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Greetings from a first time//make that 3rd time(?) Volvo owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings from a first time//make that 3rd time(?) Volvo owner

Greetings, thought I'd introduce myself.

So I guess I consider myself a first time volvo owner, but technically I guess it's really a third time.

When I was a youngster (let's not get into age here please) in High School I did buy a Volvo from my cousin for $200. I don't remember much about it (I'll emphasize the age thing again), I think it was early 60's, manual and a 4 cylinder. Was it possibly like a 120 or something? I don't know. It was cheap, and got me to school and back.

Fast forward a few years (ok, decades), and my daughter is now working out east (I'm midwest). She needs a car to get to work. Big city, lots of highway driving each day. Needs a dependable car with good mileage. Dad wants daughter in something safe (she's good driving, but can't say great). We came across a '01 S40 at a good price from the 2nd owner with tons of service records. I'm thinking, it's safe, good reliability reputation, price is right, we buy it for her (semi-college grad present, semi-she takes over payments now that she's working). Dad drives the car 12 hours out east. Ok, I fell in love with it. Most comfortable ride I've ever had. Twelve hours and I'm not wiped out - love the seats. Great mileage. Impressive power for a 1.9 litre with that turbo. She loves the car and drives it daily to work.

I'm thinking about it for a year or so. We need a third, kind of extra car (son finishing college/looking for work consumes a car), so I start looking for Volvo's on Craigslist. Found a '01 S60 2.4t from second owner. Great price, but high miles (156K). Now I happen to be a mechanical type of guy (Mech Engineer), so it's kind of my miscellaneous drive around /fix up car. Actually it's in great shape. Black/Black leather. A lot of normal maintenance stuff to do, but I kind of enjoy it. Bought the Haynes UK manual. In the first week I've done the filters (oil, air, cabin, fuel), plugs, and a strut spring seat. I was surprised how much the plugs perked up the car.

I've already done a ton of searches on the forum, thanks to all the contributors for the helpful info. You'll likely see more of my questions in the future. I've worked on cars forever, but the nuances of the Volvo are admittedly new to me. Now if you have a question on tools, I'm likely good, general car mechanics, ok, but Volvo specific stuff, please bear with me if I throw a few silly questions.

Kenaisteve

Old 03-01-2010, 03:11 AM

Welcome to the site!

Greasysteve

Old 03-03-2010, 07:10 AM

Welcome aboard. Great intro. This is truly a one stop place for all your questions. The people here are the best.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum.