New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Happy to be in rhe community

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy to be in rhe community

Hey, I just picked up a 1995 850 GLT sedan with 154,000 last week. I love it! I'm a novice when it comes to engine work. But, one thing that impressed me was the level of detail the company puts into the design and manufacture of these automobiles. I'm a lower division engineering student. I'm taking a geometrical dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) class now... My professor holds Volvo with high regards. GD&T is (in simplified terms) a method of drafting that revolves manufacturing around the fit of assemblies and sub-assemblies. This method allows parts to hold very tight tolerances. One of our supplementary reading material is a GD&T drafting specification that Volvo wrote. I'm positive that every company uses GD&T, but incorporating it into the design rather than just using "decorative" GD&T is better designing and more expensive.
Not to bore anyone. I find this very interesting.
Its great to be here I hope I learn a lot!

Old 03-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Do you have any pics of the car that you can post?

Old 03-12-2014, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the video rspi. Haven't taken any pictures yet. I'll have them up by this weekend. Already changed the oil and the air filter, although didn't use Volvo oil filter. Picked up a Bosch at the local pep boys. Plugs and wires and timing belt was next on my list. Came across a problem this week too. I got into my car yesterday morning and it reeked of fuel. I read that there was a recall for faulty fuel tanks or bushing or something. I called Volvo and the car was already credited for the fix on the recall. So I'm going to take in to get diagnosed this weekend. If its another recall related problem they'll credit me the diagnostics charge and fix it for free. If not I have to fork out the dough my self. Any enlightening words on that situation?