New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Hello all

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello all

Hello everyone, my name is Bryan, I'm 27, and I'm new to Volvo's. I'm having an S60 shipped from PA to here in Las Vegas to replace my 2005 Subaru WRX Wagon. I also have an '88 Jeep Cherokee that's only for 4 wheeling and a '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel for towing said trail Jeep.

I hope the community here is a little more mature and law abiding than the Subaru crowd. I am tired of high school kids telling me how cool my car is, and how their Civic/Neon/Mustang/etc is faster. Hopefully this will end with the S60, but I'd still like to modify a few things and keep the car looking mostly stock. I'm looking forward to being part of your community.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Hello all

Welcome to the forum.

What kind of mods are we talking about?

Old 03-04-2008, 04:00 PM

This car will be a long term project due to budget constraints. Eventually I'd like to see it with a turboback exhaust, intake, modified ecu, coilovers or springs/struts, swaybars, brakes, and some subtle but good looking body mods. Coming from a vehicle with such a large aftermarket I don't really know what to expect, other than the obvious impact this will have on the cost of parts, but I'm a gearhead, and I know I won't be able to leave it stock for too long (the WRX had parts on order when it drove off the lot with 7mi on the odometer).

Old 03-04-2008, 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: bbaker80

This car will be a long term project due to budget constraints. Eventually I'd like to see it with a turboback exhaust, intake, modified ecu, coilovers or springs/struts, swaybars, brakes, and some subtle but good looking body mods. Coming from a vehicle with such a large aftermarket I don't really know what to expect, other than the obvious impact this will have on the cost of parts, but I'm a gearhead, and I know I won't be able to leave it stock for too long (the WRX had parts on order when it drove off the lot with 7mi on the odometer).
Well again welcome to the forum.

1. What is your budget?

2. What is your Hp goal?

3. What you should expect is high prices and not a lot of options.

It seems you want to do a hodpodge of things, but what would you rather start off with?

- Engine?
- Suspension?
- Body mods?

Please take a look at these two threads as they will help you throughout your venture.
https://volvoforums.com/m_65537/tm.htm
https://volvoforums.com/m_38606/tm.htm

Old 03-04-2008, 04:28 PM

Suspension

1. Swaybars: IPD USA is the only company that makes swaybars for the s60's. Evolve has them for the R models but not the regular s60 models.
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S60/Perf.../p-74-403-383/

2. Lowering Springs: You have some options here for lowering springs.

Evolve: http://www.evolvecars.com/site/index...87,132,0,0,1,0

Eibach: http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S60/Susp...4-404-695-564/
http://www.vivaperformance.com/catal...roducts_id=273

H&R: http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S60/Susp...-404-695-3266/

TME (IPD USA): http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S60/Susp...4-404-695-722/

3. Coilovers:

KW Coilovers:http://www.vivaperformance.com/catal...products_id=98
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S60/Perf...p-74-403-3465/

Old 03-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Old 03-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 PM

I divided them up into seperate posts to better help you search.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:54 PM

1. What is your budget?
I'm willing to save and wait for the right parts, so budget isn't really an issue.

2. What is your Hp goal?
What's reasonable? I'm truly new to the Volvo community, and coming from a WRX that was making 340HP at the wheels. I doubt I'm going to come close to that but I'd like to see some gain over stock.

It seems you want to do a hodpodge of things, but what would you rather start off with?

I'm planning now to start with painting the black trim strips, window tint, brake pads, and wheels when I get the car. As budget allows I'll go with the suspension mods like the springs/struts and swaybars. Engine mods will be last. I feel that if you don't have the braking or handling to get you out of trouble you shouldn't have the power to get into it in the first place.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:50 PM

1. What is your budget?
I'm willing to save and wait for the right parts, so budget isn't really an issue.

2. What is your Hp goal?
What's reasonable? I'm truly new to the Volvo community, and coming from a WRX that was making 340HP at the wheels. I doubt I'm going to come close to that but I'd like to see some gain over stock.

I'm planning now to start with painting the black trim strips, window tint, brake pads, and wheels when I get the car. As budget allows I'll go with the suspension mods like the springs/struts and swaybars. Engine mods will be last. I feel that if you don't have the braking or handling to get you out of trouble you shouldn't have the power to get into it in the first place.
1. I would save save save then do some mods. Then save save some more and do more mods. But I would do them all in an order. Like do all Suspension mods first, then all engine, then all body. Doesn't have to be in that order, but you get my point.

2. What year and model is your s60. You could reasonably see maybe 250Hp maybe 275Hp. Possibly more if you really get into it.

OEM rims or aftermarket?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:47 PM

I agree with the save save save mod model you have. My S60 is either a 2001 or 2002. It was my grandmother's and has 14,000 miles on it, so it's in incredible shape for it's age. I'm thinking aftermarket for wheels because of the cost factor. I love the R wheels but I doubt I'll clear enough to get them when I sell the Scooby. I'm considering 18's because the roads here in Vegas aren't too bad, and don't need to worry about winter driving conditions (when we go to the mountains we take my girlfriend's Jeep).

When you say 250-275 HP are you talking about at the flywheel or at the wheels? I have a piggyback ECU in my WRX which is nice because I can tune it myself on my laptop. Are there ECU tuning options that would allow me to tweak things on the dyno like I did with the Subaru?

Also I have a noobish question for you....how much boost does the stock 2.4T run? I saw on a vendor site that the TD04 is an upgrade turbo (it's stock for the WRX) so it seems like the stock car doesn't run too much boost. The TD04 isn't a monster turbo by any means, but it was good for 300WHP on my WRX.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If you don't mind me asking.
Why are you getting rid of the WRX wagon?
Just from the BS talk?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 PM

I don't mind at all. I owe about 12K on the WRX, it's private party value on KBB is 18000K and I'm looking to pay off some debt. Unfortunately my grandmother isn't doing as well these days (although she's still going at 93 years old) and can't drive anymore. She wants her car to go to someone in the family, and since I'm the only one who has a car payment right now, she's giving it to me.

The BS talk is irritating, and so is the police profiling, but I'm used to that with the lifted Jeep and the 5" exhaust on the truck. I guess I've just grown out of the kiddie car phase of my life and don't want/need a bright blue cop magnet to make driving enjoyable. It's better for me to get out of debt and to be able to put some money down on a house.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Ok was just wondering.
My wife works fora Subi Dealer. She is on Nasioc. I see how they are over there. I wouldn't last 1 day on there.
If I were to buy a Subi it would be an older WRX Wagon. I kind of like the looks of them.
And it could also be a pretty good sleeper.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 PM

I agree with the save save save mod model you have. My S60 is either a 2001 or 2002. It was my grandmother's and has 14,000 miles on it, so it's in incredible shape for it's age. I'm thinking aftermarket for wheels because of the cost factor. I love the R wheels but I doubt I'll clear enough to get them when I sell the Scooby. I'm considering 18's because the roads here in Vegas aren't too bad, and don't need to worry about winter driving conditions (when we go to the mountains we take my girlfriend's Jeep).

When you say 250-275 HP are you talking about at the flywheel or at the wheels? I have a piggyback ECU in my WRX which is nice because I can tune it myself on my laptop. Are there ECU tuning options that would allow me to tweak things on the dyno like I did with the Subaru?

Also I have a noobish question for you....how much boost does the stock 2.4T run? I saw on a vendor site that the TD04 is an upgrade turbo (it's stock for the WRX) so it seems like the stock car doesn't run too much boost. The TD04 isn't a monster turbo by any means, but it was good for 300WHP on my WRX.
18's will be fine and look great.

You can purchase piggyback type ECU's but they are hard to come by and costly. I recommend just getting the IPD USA, RICA and or BSR ECU upgrades, you wont be disappointed.

@ flywheel or wheels I don't know, can't answer that for you. You can get around 250-275 that is what I know.

Seems like your running the same turbo I am in your Volvo which is a 13g. Which means you have the LPT engine. Low Pressure Turbo. Which in turn means your running about 5-7 PSI stock and you can run up to 15PSI on the 13g without it running out of its effeciency range.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:39 PM

You will see the most gains with an ECU upgrade and the upgraded downpipe. These are the two mods are key to gaining power.

Stock your running about 197 Hp and 210 Ft-Lb's of Torque. The 13g you have is a TDO4HL turbo. You can upgrade to a bigger td04 turbo such as a 16t, 18t or 19t. However I don't recommend the 18T and 19T unless your planning on some good supporting mods like rods and pistons. I would recommend the 16t as it can hold 15PSI better then the 13g can plus you can run slightly a bit more boost on the 16t like 17PSI.

I had to laugh when you said get out of debt. You will be in debt once you start modding your Volvo.

I put close to $5k into my 1995 850 N/A and I have put well over $2k into my 1999 s70 awd.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 PM

I'm sure this car will end up being a money pit just like all of my other vehicles, but at least I have managed to restrain myself to what I have saved for the project and the cash on hand at the time. My debt is from my 6 months of unemployment and the move out here to find a job. All things considered being able to pay off all of with the equity in the WRX isn't too bad.

I don't think $7000 in mods for your two vehicles is too bad, I have $5000 in axles alone under my Jeep. The WRX is getting sold with $2000 in engine mods and another $1000 in suspension just because I don't have a garage to work in to swap the aftermarket stuff out before I need to get rid of it.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:17 PM

I'm sure this car will end up being a money pit just like all of my other vehicles, but at least I have managed to restrain myself to what I have saved for the project and the cash on hand at the time. My debt is from my 6 months of unemployment and the move out here to find a job. All things considered being able to pay off all of with the equity in the WRX isn't too bad.

I don't think $7000 in mods for your two vehicles is too bad, I have $5000 in axles alone under my Jeep. The WRX is getting sold with $2000 in engine mods and another $1000 in suspension just because I don't have a garage to work in to swap the aftermarket stuff out before I need to get rid of it.

$7,000 to me is a lot. Considering I never had a real job in high school when I had the 850. I mowed lawns here and there. And my s70 is being paid for by doing freelance work, then Part-Time work. I have stopped modding it since I don't think it is worth it anymore. But I wish I had that money right now because I could really use it for a few things. But anyways...