New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Hello All

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello All

This is my first post here, just wanted to say hi. I was refered here by a post on bimmerforums.com, I forget what it was, though.

I do have one quick question, though. Is anybody on here a Volvo Tech? I'm a student at UTI (Universal Technical Institute), and I graduate in about 5 months, but might be signing up for the Volvo program soon. Now, although I do not have any experience with Volvo's personally, I have worked on other European cars, if that makes any differences. What I'm basically asking, is if you do work for a Volvo Dealership, how do you like it, and how does it pay? I mean, I know Union pay is union pay, but, are the book hours pretty good, and are Volvo's designed to be somewhat easy to work on, vs other cars that can be a royal pain the the ****? Thanks alot, guys, adn I hope to learn alot on here, and maybe even purchase one within teh next few years.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Hello All

I think Volvo's are the easiest to work on out of all of the cars i worked on before.The warranty pay isn't that bad.The pay is all based on what the job pays to do.You make money if you get it done faster and you lose money if it takes longer.

Old 12-03-2004, 04:28 PM

Well, I know that pay goes by book time, I completely understand that. I know what book tim is, but, what I wanted to know was, how does it pay compared to other car companies? is the book time normall adequit to be able to book quite a few more hours than you work, after you've become an experienced Tech? I'm not sure if you're familiar with UTI or not, but, they have a graduate training program, which does Volvo Factory training, and it's 14 weeks long, I believe, I'll know next week more about it, I'm not exactly sure just how much training you get out of it, but I know it's better than half of all volvo training courses or certifications.

Old 12-03-2004, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Through that training course from what i hear they follow the Ase standards.You will learn alot from the book but not too much about working on the Volvo's.I have seen about 8 people from UTI come through us in the last 2 years.Most of the time you start hourly then go to flat rate when you are able to or they think you are able to.

Old 12-04-2004, 04:07 AM

any idea what a first year tech should be able to make? Also, in a truley honest oppinion, what tools would a first year tech need, besides the basics? Do they put a newbie with an old-timer, or at leqast a journeyman tech, so that he has somebody to learn from? Like, would you need a whole lot more than wrenches, complete socket sets, screwdrivers, pliers, etc, or do they normally have a first year tech doing any kinda major work? I'm just trying to get a figure on how much I may have to spend my first year out. Hoping it will be less than $10k. I have probably about $1k worth of tools right now.

Old 12-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Most of the time they will put you with some one that has been there for years or a team leader.They will probaly pay you about $12.00-13.00 and hour.There are some other tools you will need but don't worry the tool guys will be happy to meet you.If you find a nice group of techs they will let you borrow tools when you need them till you buy them.