New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Hello, new volvo owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, new volvo owner

Though not a new car, it's a 1995 Volvo 850 and I love it even if I did have a pricey service due to a previous dishonest owner (or his mechanic was moreso than the owner I should say who safety certified it when it wasn't safe to drive as I soon found out!).

It is now, but I need to report that mechanic to MOT. I'm in Canada but originate from England, UK.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Default thanks

Thank you

It's great being among so many other volvo owners.

I found the local dealer very helpful via email too, who informed me of my exact car colour and nearest technical support for my emissions warning code check.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:27 AM

Welcome

Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 AM

Thank you

Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 AM

And sorry to hear about your car. It's unfortunate that there are people out there like that who knowing rip people off. But as your coming to find out (and so am I being a new Volvo owner) EVRY cent put into these cars is sooooo worht it.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:54 AM

Thank you for your empathy. Yes you are right there are people out there who will try and rip people off, and I do love my car for sure.

Careful as I was, knowing about the rip off merchants out there, I did call the last owner after I had the car fixed, give him his dues, he like me couldn't get head under car to see how bad it was and said he wasn't going to trust his mechanic to service any of his other families cars from now on either knowing what I found out, and that he was going to go and have a word with him and let me know - interestingly he didn't let me know, and at the same time I disbelieve he didn't know 'something' because the steering wheel had a definite pull to the left and it wasn't a simple thing like the car tire needing inflating (though I'd had liked to think so).

I should have not been surprised if they did pull a fast one between them, last owner and mechanic, as the last owner was a bit reluctant at first on my saying I want car certified and e tested first before I buy it, as I am not that stupid to buy something that may fail after. He said he wanted to sell it as is, but knowing I wasn't going to buy it if he didn't, he did so but at my expense, but again I said I would only pay the tests not the work needing doing as that is your responsibility not mine.

After I bought the car and found out the worst, and let him know first, I didn't push it anymore on him because I know there is no comeback where private purchases are made, it just made me livid that I didn't buy it until certified and e tested for a reason, and to then find something seriously wrong within 2 days when I hardly drove the car except 2 mins down the road to drop my child off at preschool is taking the mick.

I am still going to report the mechanic he had used to MTO, because as the customer services person on the phone said, although I had it fixed now (should have waited until they came to see the damage for him to be penalized for it but read the MTO site and found out too late about that one), I can still report it as others may have also complained about similar things and that will all go against him obviously, and he may not be allowed to certify cars anymore (end result I would think).

At least the car is all good now! I took it to one of those recommended volvo mechanics posted on this forum in the GTA, yesterday, as the emission warning light was continuously on when I turned the engine on, not serious as they all said unless it is a flashing light. He sorted it out for me (free!), pretty good when a volvo dealer I rang first said they'd charge about $125 to inspect it, it only needed a code check and reset so I wasn't willing to do that with them.
The mechanic that was recommended on this forum was excellent, he said that garage I used in emergency didn't have our tools to reset it on the volvo hence why that light came on. I told him he was my mechanic from now on in any case, I heard he's good from this forum and I want one who knows what he is doing.

This forum is a godsend to be honest. Did you get a haynes owners manual? I am seeking one of those next (likely from amazon.com)

Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 AM

Rough story man. Glad it's all working out for the better now though. Really is sad how some people can be like that though.
No I don't have my owners manual unfortunately.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:38 AM

Or woman even Yes it is, devious people are everywhere and out for just themselves unfortunately, hopefully it's more better people than bad ones out there though. Volvo mechanic that sorted out the emission light that had come on continuously after it was serviced by a different mechanic, says car is all good, so yes it's a-ok now, thank goodness. I am sticking with that volvo mechanic from now on, I intended to find one in any case and this forum helped a lot with that. The guy didn't charge me for checking the code and resetting it either.

Last edited by rspi; 11-16-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM

Thank you

My car didn't start again yesterday, I knew why as it was the same reason it didn't that first time, the accelerator cable that was popping off, foot pedal felt slack as that last time. Had car towed to one of those garages recommended on here, who I rang first and who told me not to worry it wouldnt cost me alot for him to fix as he doesn't charge expensive like others, said it should be fixed by today so I can collect it again but he'd ring me first, that's good if it is fixed that quick.

Thank goodness for this forum, and it made sense to take it to one garage who has everything already in stock and there, not to one who orders parts from another and charges you more for getting it in and the item itself, and then them not doing a 100% good job as they don't have the tools (e.g. to reset the emission light that then came on after that last time).

Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NikkiSixII
Rough story man. Glad it's all working out for the better now though. Really is sad how some people can be like that though.
No I don't have my owners manual unfortunately.
Read the FAQ thread and you will find a link to the owners manual on Volvo's site.