New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Hi Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi Everyone!

Hey all, figured I'd stop by and introduce myself. My name is Tyler and I am 21 years old from the Chicagoland Area. and I just bought my first Volvo two days ago. Vehicle is a 2002 S80 2.9 with 196K on it. Not my first experience with Volvos since my ex girlfriends dad has been a service adviser for our local Volvo dealer for the past 13 years. He's owned an 05 S60 (totaled) and an 07 S60. I was with him in the 05 when we T-boned a guy who didn't yield to make a left, he hit the hooks and we made impact going around 40mph. Walking away from that collision without a scratch was a main factor on why I wanted to buy a Volvo.

The Car:

Like I said Silver 2002 S80 2.9 NA with 196K on it. Got it for a fair price from the dealer he works at. There are a few issues with it, like any 12 year old car would have. Just recently got a new timing kit installed (discount price from Ex's Dad without service charge ) Now on to the issues.

Car will shake when coming from a stop letting off the gas slowly. Doesn't happen when accelerating but just when the car moves under its own idling power. Almost similar to shaking of the lack of a balance shaft.

Other issue is it seems as if though the car is currently in limp mode. Almost got it home from the dealer and the check engine light started flashing. Talked with my ex's dad and said could be misfiring or even a fouled plug. The engine wasn't really in limp mode the day I brought it home but this morning driving to work it had such a lack of power, I knew something was wrong. RPMS won't go past 2K.

I'm not sure if the above issues are any cause of this last one, but the interior lights seem to pulsate with the idle of the engine.. Sitting parked warming the car up, looking at the gauge cluster you can see it literally pulse with the engine crank. Not a big deal and I can live with that.

Don't worry, I'm not new to the forums, nor do I expect to receive any answer to these issues. I know where the correct section of the forum is. I'm going to try and take her in to the dealer today. The Tech my ex's dad is good friends with wants to take care of me and diagnose it and fix the issue. He gave me an under the table 30 day warranty with it if anything goes wrong.

I do know my way around a car fairly well. I'm not a certified mechanic, but I do know enough about cars to diagnose. Volvo engines are new to me. I spent a lot of time learning the ins and outs of the 4G63T powerhouse of Mitsubishi Eclipse's /Eagle Talons and spent a lot of time working on both my friends' Toyota Supra's. 1990 MKIII 7M-GTE and a 1993 MKIV 2JZ-GE.

I look forward to talking with you all and learning about these cars more and more each time I log on. I plan on being a Volvo owner for life, which is usually easy since these engines are always fantastic and never a disappointment!

Old 01-10-2014, 08:11 AM

Here is a picture of the ride.

Attached Thumbnails Hi Everyone!-img_20140107_204432.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 09:03 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Cane, welcome to the forum.

Nice intro and glad to hear you have a short warranty.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:20 AM

Thanks rspi! Started to drive her home from work last night and all of a sudden RPMs started dropping as did my MPH. Called up My ex's dad and I drove it 8 miles to the dealer. Found out today I had two bad coils, and both have been replaced. Car started smelling really strong in exhaust inside the cabin, they think it is the catalytic converter that's clogged or broken. Still waiting to hear back on that ex's dad said its running extremely smooth right now though!

Last edited by Canesfan1992; 01-10-2014 at 02:27 PM.