New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

hi guys.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi guys.

hi people I'm new in here. Haven't owned any Volvo since then but I'm planning to ask dad to go buy me one or just give me his old car because he has plans of buying a new one.

As of now, he gave me a responsibility to look for some Volvo 850 parts to see if I'm responsible to drive and to own one. He wants t modify the external parts and replace those that are worn out already. He wants to replace the Volvo steering racks too but I'm not sure what does it looks like and how to install those. Needs to be expert on this matter, need to fix cars, look for the best parts and accessories and knos how to install them. Give me all the tips and ideas I need for a car lover but a noob about them like me.

Thanks.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:24 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: hi guys.

Welcome to the forum.

If you would like to know where you can find parts for 850, here's a source many of us here use:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo.htm#850

FCP Groton carries either OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer; the parts suppliers that supplied parts to auto manufacturers when they assembled new cars) or high-quality aftermarket parts. But note, that many Volvos don't like to be treated with non-OEM parts, so be ready to spend some $ on OEM parts. If you try to cut down on the cost of repair by getting parts from franchise shops, etc, the result will appear soon accordingly (there are exceptions, of course, and in the case of 850, the OEM A/C evaporatour is known to fail and an aftermarket unit is of better quality).

I am not sure how "newbie" you are, so I'll give you advice assuming you really are, well, a newbie.

First of all, please note that working on your car involves possible hazards/dangers and if you don't pay attention or don't have a common sense, you could be seriously injured, or worse, be killed (some people have been killed by working under their cars without being supported by jackstands). I would first start by purchasing a service manual (Haynes Volvo 850 is a good place to start and is only about $15-$18) and read the safety precautions section seriously. Those with macho attitude are the first ones to be injured. Don't be a "dead hero", but be a "live coward" (a quote from my aviation college instructor).

At your stage, I wouldn't think of replacing the steering rack, as it involves removal of many parts anda part ofsubframe has to be loosened.

Also, you'll need a set of metric tools, various sizes of ratchet handles, sockets, breaker bars, etc... (You can get by without wrenches often, when you work on the 850). I would recommend Craftsman tools, as they are of good quality and come with lifetime warranty; you break a tool, then bring it to Sears and they give you a new one without a receipt/question (some exceptions may apply).

Also, note that the 850s are starting to show age, and I wouldn't recommend them unless you have some knowledge, as the repair can be costly, even parts alone. If I were you, I would consider an S70, which is newer than the 850s. Or, if you can talk your folks into buying something newer with fewer problems, that's what I would do. I believe average parents would rather pay more for safer cars than pay less and see their sons/daughters losing money/getting injured. Well, this may be none of my business but I don't like seeing people having trouble with cars.

Anyway, I hope this gives you some ideas. Also, if you happen to buy an 850 and have questions, be sure to post them in the 850 forum. There are quite a few experts there and they'll be happy toassist. But whatever you do on your car by yourself, you'll be responsible.

I wish you the best of luck,

JPN