New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Hi! Just bought the family a '98 V90.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi! Just bought the family a '98 V90.

Morning, or so it is here.

Last night I purchased a 1998 Volvo V90 wagon for my wife as our kid hauler.

It drove great and made no noise or issues for the 20 mins we test drove, but later that night (about 4 hours later) we finally made the purchase, the car started up fine and then 2 mins later it started to "tick". Ofcourse the guy was gone, by then (claimed he had to run to LA for a funeral) and hasent answered his phone. So we drive it back home because i read it could just be the exhaust manifold gasket. Well an hour later when we are less then 2 miles from the house the wife pulls over because the temp gage went up and she didnt want it to go into the red. So I just let it cool a bit and put in some fresh coolent. and then I asked her to "limp" the car home slowly with the heat on high. She made it home just fine, and the temp gage never went above 12 o'clock. Lastly when we finally made it home, The wife told me that the heat never warmed up. and sure enough it was blowing cold air.

So I joined this forum to find out what the causes could be and some tips on repair.

From what i've found out it sounds like it needs both a Thermostat replacement and an exhaust manifold gasket replaced.

Other then that the car looks great and almost everything works inside. The drivers seat motor that slides it back and forward dosnt work on one side, so when you use it, the seat gets crooked.

Really though it does looks clean and the wife loves it, so I will be trying to fix as much as I can.

Mechanical wise, I can wrench fairly well, I have replaced everything from the oil to brakes, sparkplugs and starters, but thats about it. mostly just bolt on fixes.

Ill post some pictures when i get a chance.

And as much as I appreciate any info on what to do, this was just an intro post. I intend to spend a few hours with the "search" function.

Have a great day.

Brendan

Last edited by Brendan; 06-13-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome, car has best turning radius out of any Volvo.

Sounds like you need some seat cables if not working properly.