New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Howdy

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howdy

I just bought my youngest daughter a CPO 2002 Volvo V70. Very nice car. The kid is happy and I am happy that she is driving a safe and well-engieneered car. We had owned Volvos in the past and then, as the family grw larger, drifted off to GM-made SUVs for the wife and Benzes for me. Driving my daughter's "new" V70 brought back wonderful memories of our past Volvos (740 GLE sedan, 740 GLE wagon and a a 940 Turbo--in Red!). My wife now wants a Volvo wagon of her own and I can see myself driving an S60 T5!!! Even other drivers seem more friendly and courteous when I drive my daughter's V70. It is great to be back in the Volvo family!

Old 06-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Howdy

Congrats it really does feel good doesn't it?

Old 06-13-2005, 06:11 PM

Tech--Thanks for the welcome. It really does feel good. A long time ago I stayed away from a Volvo 850 because it was front drive. Driving my daughter's V70 I am surprised how well a front wheel drive can actually drive. It is funny, driving a Volvo feels like you are part of a special, little community. I don't feel the same way when I drive the Benz or my Cadillac Seville. When I drive the Caddy I feel like an old man (despite my screen name I am NOT an old man [8D] ). When I drive the Benz I feel like I have more money (or are more willing to get into debt) than common sense. But the Volvo feels just right. Like I said, my wife and I may be trading in our respective cars and getting Volvos.

Again, thanks for the welcome. I hope to become a regularly contributing memeber of this site.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Im glad you really enjoy driving the Volvo.

Old 06-14-2005, 02:39 PM

Tech:

I have read through many of the posts in this site. It seems like, in addition to answewring tech questions, you also don a referee's hat whenever flaming starts. (Although I must say that the flaming here is relatively mild compared to other car boards. I belong to a Caddy board and a Benz board, and you should see the flaimng in those two boards. Maybe Volvo owners are naturally "mellower" than other brand owners).

I want to say thanks for your efforts. I am not sure everyone realizes how much work it is to set up and run a board like this one.

So, thanks. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Old I bet I'm older. My in laws had a 1983 Volvo Turbo Diesel for years. Then they went the Mercedes route for a while, then they came back to their senses and bought an 01 V70. They said they like it better than the two Mercedes they owned. They do like their little Saab though for some reason.

Welcome to the board, and you are right Tech is about as helpful as you can find.

Old 06-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Thanks Guys I try my best

Old 06-15-2005, 03:54 PM

Jim: I don't know wether I am older or younger..but with the knowledge that my youngest daughter is out driving, I seem to be getting older by the minute . My son will be getting his license in a few years and he wants an old Saab 900S. He is into retro Swedish!

I had a Benz 300SD TurboDiesel. Pound for pound it was the best car that I have ever owned. I sold it a few years ago to friends. At that time the car had about 300K miles on the clock. I normally don't like to sell cars to friends because of a bad experience that I once had. My friends, however, loved the car and still drive it on a regular basis. I am not so sure that the new Benzes will last as long or be as troubel-free as my old diesel. There was an article on Automobile magazine detailing the recent QC problems with new Benzes, Bimmers and VWs. They may solve the problem soon, but any 1998 - current MY German car is a big gamble.

My past Volvos were great, especially the two 740GLEs (we had matching wagon and sedan). They were absolutely rock-soild and were inexpensive to run. The 940 Turbo was a good car, but the 740's were more reliable.

Benzes have just gotten way too expensive for what they offer. And as I get older I want to simplify my life. I no longer need a monster V8 that can snap my neck as it goes from 0 - 60 in in less than 5 seconds (while consuming half a tank of expensive gas). A nice and reliable 5 or 6 cylinder engine is just fine for me. I can always pocket the money that I save in gas and use it for fun things.[&:]

Old 06-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All three of my kids are getting married and buying houses. I am way past the learning to drive stage. Now I'm at the wait for grand kids stage. Well my wife is anyway. My youngest is getting married in two weeks.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:53 PM

OK...you win the "oldest guy" contest!

I can't even imagine what it will be like when my kids start getting married and start producing little clones!

I was at IHOP the other day and I saw an "elderly" couple with their two grandkids. It sure seem like they were having a great time...the kids too.

This reminds me of the time that I attended a "back to school" night for my youngest kid. At one point I went out to the playground and began to push him on the swings. Next to me there was a guy also pushing a young kid on the swings. We started talking and then I (stupidly) said to him: (you all can see it coming, right?) "It must be nice that you get to come out to visit your grandkids' school!"

He turned to me and said (in a not too happy voice). "I am HER dad!"

Ooops! Never assume anything, my wife keeps tellign me.

In my defense, this guy looked like he was in his 70s and was wheezing like he was just coming out of life support!

Old 06-24-2005, 05:53 PM

Old volvo fan, you are pretty funny, glad to see you have joined the board. I look forward to hearing more. This is my first Volvo and I think you nailed it on the head when you said Volvo owners are a bit different. I could not agree more. I find that almost every Volvo owner I see or meet are very laid back. I am really enjoying my 2001 S40 and would not trade it for anything (except maybe a t5).

Old 07-02-2005, 05:31 AM

LOL ..I am somewhere in between you two I guess. My oldest son just got his permit and my youngest is 10. I must also say that when driving my Volvo I feel special, like a member of a special club. It's so neat, I've never felt like this with any other car.
I love my Volvo ! [sm=Awwww.gif]
My husband is also thinking of trading in his car for a Volvo, he drives my car whenever I'm not using it ( which is almost never, hahah ).