New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Howdy !

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howdy !

hi everyone, my name is jay , my 1989 240 gl and i are new here. I am a small engine mechanic by trade and late last year needed a car to replace my surprisingly trusty ford explorer, so i bought a SWEET 1992 960 for 2k with 146k on it. well.. i loved that car.it was powerful, comfortable rode like a cadillac and handled like a jetta with rwd ..

.. i'll bet someone here knows why i used the past tense of "love"... yep.. timing belt .. my logic was " i'm over 40, i am a professional mechanic in my field and i can be responsible enough to take such a fine car to the proffessionals who know what theyr'e doing.. well, that was the plan.. until about a month ago when the car started and ran like hell! i put the timing belt as far out of my mind as i could, drove it the few blocks home from my freinds house, shut it off, and when i tried to turn it over again it acted as if the spark plugs had been removed..

it was dark , so i went straight to bed hoping that the next morning i'd find something silly like a loose connector.(i try to be an optomist) at first light, straight off i pulled back the timing belt cover and to my "relief" i saw that the belt was still there and ran the odb, it was giving me all sorts of wacky readings.. but my tools were at work so i had to wait to really inspect it as soon as i got home i took off the cover and instantly knew it was GAME OVER . about 6 inches of cogs were gone, explaining the zero compression.. rather than spending another 2 grand getting it fixed, or a month of trying to tackle it myself i manned up and admitted i'd gotten the absolute wrongest car for me . so i sold it to a kid who INSISTED he could fix it , even after i did my best to convince him to save his money and spent two weeks on the bus (which is a very embarrasing place for a mechanic to be) until i found this lovely little '89 240 gl. with about 212 k on it , and a strong rebuilt engine.

the wave of joy and relief when i opened the hood was nearly overwhelming , i could identify EVERYTHING the seller thought was "wrong" with it , the"squeal" from the "rear" of the motor? just the sound of the belts resonating through it .. the rough running? cap and rotor .. the jolt of electricity when i touched the distributor? wires. the awful alignment? crappy tires. .. .. this guy had no clue.he'd obviously got it from an auction with the sole intent of flipping it . by the end of the next day , and less than 100 dollars later (barring tires)it was running sweet. i've always wanted one of these cars, and now i know why people love them so much.i passed smog with flying colors (no small feat in this part of california) and emission levels suggest a brand new cat and oxygen sensor.
i offer an apology ahead of time for the long introduction, but i'm SUPER excited about this car...
oh.. and the fate of my 960? day before yesterday i went to the wrecking yard to get a tailight cluster and saw a familiar grey 960.. complete with the disneyland parking pass in the window.. the kid hadn't even tried to take the head off. i'd done the right thing.

Attached Thumbnails Howdy !-volvo240.jpg   Howdy !-volvo2402.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you got a good one.