New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

I need XC70 info from the real world!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need XC70 info from the real world!

Hey guys! I decided I need a better car for snow and bumpy roads. I want something that can haul a kayak to a put in, or get me to a ski trip, you know. I don't want to thra****, but I want it to get me where I need to go, and I am strongly considering an XC70 to fit my needs.

MY REAL QUESTION to the volvo world, is: What do you all think of them? All years, but I am interested in the newer AWD version (Halidex, after 2003 or something, is that right?) So any and all you've got! How are they in the snow or mud? Repair costs, miles you've got on them, stories, safety, etc.

Any help is appreciated here guys! I really hope it is the vehicle I think it is!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:53 PM

As a follow up, all the you tube videos I see demonstrate them not behaving well in the snow.. but I really feel that that can't be true... its snow covered 9 months out of the year where they're made, how can they afford to be bad in the snow?

Can anyone relate to their competence in the snow?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:58 AM

I tend to agree with you. They are built in the snow for goodness sakes.
I have owned 3 different models, with three types of tires, and they all did real well. And none of those were all wheel drive. If you understand what conditions you are driving in and don't expect the car to hold a lateral G in snow and ice, they do well.
Never had any problems.
The only thing I can tell you on models is to look around here. See what others are having problems with. Each model is picky about certain things.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I love my Volvo's.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:14 AM

Thanks guys. And yeah, mustang, I understand what you're saying. The competition is an Audi A4, which are renowned for their mechanical full time awd. I'm going to keep reading up on them and see if i can get owner's opinions though, standard reviews are so detached.

thanks!

Old 03-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have driven my father's 03 XC70 in the snow, many times over.

1. In a blizzard conditions in West Virgina.
2. In a ice storm with 8 inches of accumulated snow and ice on the ground.
3. With many inches of snow on the ground.

The Volvo AWD is only good up until 30 or 35 MPH. After that it is strictly FWD. Now in bad conditions your not going to be driving or shouldn't be driving faster then 30 anyways.

- It plowed through the ice and snow like a PRO.
- It got me to the top of the mountain on a one lane road that was completely snow covered and a steep hill grade like a PRO.
- It plowed through the near four feet of snow we got in central PA this Winter. Take it the roads were plowed some but it plowed right through the crap.

The 03 XC70 has done me well and it can carry a good load of equipment. I'd recommend this car for Winter usage. I haven't gotten stuck once.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:05 AM

My Wife's 05-XC70 with Winter tires is unstoppable in snow and ice. It allows a confident feel of safety. My 07-v70r with Winter tires is also great and adds the performance that I desired. It just lacks the ground clearance of the XC70 in the deep stuff and I worrry more about snow banks. I think based upon what you described for your lifestile, an XC70 would be perfect for you.

Al. Wise

Old 03-10-2010, 11:13 AM

S70 Driver:
West Virginia eh? The two heavy snow storms this year in WV were what made me decide to look into something AWD. How ironic! The mountain roads you're talking about aren't to Cooper's Rock or through Cumberland are by any chance are they?

That's good info, it's what I need. Real stories of the AWD from people who DRIVE them. It makes me more secure in my choice.

awise: the '05 is actually the year I am considering. I'd have to get it used to work with my budget, and that seems new enough to not be too tortured but still old enough to drop the price enough. Are you happy with it? What engine and horsepower do you have? They have the T5 in those, 208 hp, isn't it?

One thing that bothers me a little about the AWD is is disengaging after 25 mph... it makes me a little nervous about hitting a snow patch on a turn or something. I mean, yes, I do drive responsibly based on the conditions, but Audi and Sub both have their AWD full time at any speed.. Thoughts?

The responses really help, I really appreciate it!