New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

My first Volvo (S40)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Volvo (S40)

Hi everyone,

until recently I drove a 2001 Kia Optima but it broke down and it was time to get a new (used) car. I searched for a week and did a lot of homework and ended up buying a 2000 Volvo S40 in very good condition with 3 month warranty for $4000. I am sure I will find a thing or two wrong with it sooner or later but so far a little rattle in the dash and the fact that the previous owner was a smoker are the only bad things about it. Even though the vehicle is significantly smaller than my Kia I already love it. It is comfortable, well equipped with lots of safety features and gadgets and it looks soo much better than the plastic Kia. I think this was the best used car purchase I have made in a long time. (I hope I haven't jinxed it by saying this)
A little about me: I am in the upper 30s, married and have a almost 3 year old son. I work as a Product Development Manager for a company making beverage programs for the convenient store industry. I like saving money by fixing things myself, especially cars (the Kia is now my project car). About 20 years ago I started an apprenticeship for auto mechanic at a Volvo dealership in Germany (I am from there but live in the US now) but I never finished it.
I am looking forward to connecting with fellow Volvo enthusiasts and I am sure to ask a lot of questions, after using the search function of course :P

Old 02-27-2011, 02:36 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Willkommen & Guten tag. Mein name ist JPN.

Although other manufacturers are catching up, Volvos are still the safest cars available to public.

Make sure that your S40 has had the following recall taken care of:

http://www.autobuyguide.com/2000/12-...lls/index.html

Also, change the timing belt & its related components at every 70,000 miles or 5 years. Make sure they've been done within the last 70,000 miles/5 years.

Bis bald.

P.S: "Das Boot" is a great movie.

JPN

Old 02-27-2011, 08:41 AM

Guten Tag

Thank you for the warning about the recall. The carfax report states no open recalls as of today's date. Not sure how it knows but I assume that includes the one you mentioned.
The timing belt cover states the belt was changed at 105000 and the vehicle now has 141000 so I think I am good there too. It seems the car has been taken care of very well.
Also: Das Boot is one of my favorite movies too. It was the first movie after WWII from the perspective of German soldiers without just showing them as evil *****, plus it is simply a very well made movie.

Bis bald

Old 02-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the forum. Great choice on a used car. She will treat you well. So I have to ask, when are we going to see some pictures of her and the Kia?

Old 02-27-2011, 09:11 PM

I polished the S40 today but it got dark by the time I was done. I'll take some pics tomorrow or so. The Kia is dirty and missing a wheel and currently very camera shy. I got a few things to fix on the S40 and my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe before I find time to get the Kia going again.