New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Never had a real introduction..

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never had a real introduction..

Well hey everybody! My name's Raffi and I am a proud owner of a 1997 Volvo 850 Turbo T-5. I got my license at July 13' when I turned 18. For 3 months I drove a 2000 Dodge Neon and I wrecked it while going to work in October. After the wreck I bought a 1997 Infiniti I30. Basically a luxurious Nissan Maxima. Car was very good. I did not spend much on it. Just tires, brake pads and calipers, and a knock sensor. That's it. I sold it because the exhaust was completely shot. Not worth fixing. Sold that in March.

The very next day I looked on Craigslist and found the Volvo 850. When I checked it out the car had absolutely no rust. That's hard to say when you live in Upstate NY. We test drove it and bought it.

I bought it on a Friday and was so excited! Until.. it started to misfire and I looked deep into the problems. I don't mind fixing but the guy was a complete liar. He removed the check engine light bulb, duck taped the radiator, and the next day it threw a misfire.

I fixed the misfire thanks to the help of you guys on the forums! lol

Now I have a check engine light that Autozone pulled up as an Oxygen Sensor. I replaced the bulb in the cluster and all well I guess lol.

I tried doing the negative battery removal trick to see if the CEL cleared but it did not. Are our cars not able to do that? I have done that for many of my other cars before but this one, once you remove the terminal and wait, and put it back, the check Engine Light is still on lol.

Any insights can be cool! I am going to replace the oxygen sensor but I wanted to know why I couldn't turn that CEL off when removing the battery terminal.

Name:  ew9mlsCl.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  70.5 KB

Old 04-09-2014, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try using a fault code reader that can also clear codes.
Mind you, unless you do the oxygen sensor replacement the light will just keep coming back up anyway due to the unresolved fault.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by difflock54
Try using a fault code reader that can also clear codes.
Mind you, unless you do the oxygen sensor replacement the light will just keep coming back up anyway due to the unresolved fault.
I took a OBD2 Scanner had two codes show. Forgot numbers but they were involving oxygen sensor. One said "low voltage." I will get numbers later but as soon as I hit clear CEL on my scanner it cleared it but was giving errors on my scanner and my RPM gauges were moving crazily. I'm not sure if there's a short somewhere or maybe my instrument cluster is broken?

Very confusing.