New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New 2003 C70 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2003 C70 Owner

Hello to All,

I am purchasing a 2003 C70 tomorrow for my son and I thought I'd join a Volvo forum in order to educate myself about Volvos. I have owned mainly VWs and Audis but did buy a 95.5 Volvo T5R in 1996 (canary yellow) for my ex-wife. She got the car so I never had to do much maintenance on that vehicle.

I am very interested in hearing what type of diagnostic tool would be most recommended by members from their experience. I have the VAG-COM for my VWs and Audi and would like to get something similar to this for the Volvo. I have come across 2 that seem to be the most popular, the iCarsoft i906 for Volvos and the DICE (VIDA ?) diagnostics tool. It seems like the DICE has more capabilities but I need some advice. I am also aware that the DICE reader needs to connect to a laptop running Windows 7 Pro.

There are two items that I need to diagnosis (tend to) after purchasing the car. The first is a SRS light that is on. The owner has informed me that this light has been on since he bought the car and that when he took it in to his mechanic, his mechanic seemed to think that it may be linked the to seat belt warning chime that had been deactivated. The second item I need to tend to involves the top control. The raising and lowering mechanism works fine but when lowering the roof into the trunk the light does not go off. It does go off when you restart the car and go through the procedure to lower the roof. I just want to make sure that once I correct the problem that I can clear the SRS code. I understand that the DICE systems will do this but I don't know about the iCarsoft reader as to whether or not it will clear the SRS codes. I am leaning towards a DICE system and would like to know the best place to buy one as I have been reading of some "knock offs" from China not working well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 05-18-2016, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Welcome aboard Plova25!

VIDA / DICE is a nice step up from the OBD2 readers as it can read/interpret all the proprietary codes and can collect realtime data. It can also do the proprietary stuff outside what's in the OBD2 compliance specs. Many of the OBD2 readers can collect and clear the chassis codes (ie the SRS) but not the extras. Not sure how your seatbelt warning chime was deactivated - ie done via a tool or done via some custom wiring... You may want to have a look under the seats to see if there are any open connectors. As to the top's light, I wonder if its related to the SRS or if there's a position sensor that needs to be adjusted or fixed. Best to post a query on the C70 forum to get the most views.