New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New 240 owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 03:01 PM
npg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 240 owner

Yesterday I purchased a 91 Volvo 240, in non running condition. The seller said it ran up until a heavy rain storm a few weeks back so I did a bunch of research and figured that it most likely was a the fuel pump relay, so an easy fix...

A friend and I grabbed a uhaul dolly, and drove about 400 miles round trip to pick it up. The paint is in rough shape but their is no rust on the body that I can find.

We got it back home and I started trying to figure out why it wouldn't start.

Fuel relay checked out, its in good shape and looks fairly new. I have a spare in the car as well.

Check for spark, have it... cap and rotor look new. Plugs look good.

Go under the car to see if the fuel pump works, and there isn't a fuel pump. I see a box in the trunk with the old tank and inline fuel pumps labeled "Volvo Fuel Pump Upgrade Youtube videos 1&2"

I checked the ground for the "upgraded" single in tank fuel pump and then trace the power wire back to the fuse box. The pump is wired to the no. 13 fuse which is for the heated seats.

I cleaned the contacts for the blue no13 and the car stared right up.

So my question at this point is: What should I do with fuel pump power wire? Should it be connected to no.4 fuse or the no.6? Somewhere else?

Once I have that sorted I need to figure out why the brake lights don't work.

I am looking forward to getting this 240 back to looking good and driving well, thanks in advance for any advice and I am happy to be here.