New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Member

Hey now, hey now,

New dude here with a few Hey, Hey's to everyone.

I've got a 1994 850 Estate that's had and needs more love to make it right and right now it is the most expensive habit I've ever had, and I've had some doosies.

I have to go for now as it's almost time for my ride to arrive and I'll be off to Ottawa for Christmas but I'll be back on Wednesday to fill all of you in on why I'm waiting for a ride and not taking the Brick.

Merry, Merry to all and keep your ride right.

Later,

Quick Brick.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Member

Welcome. Post your specific questions in the 850 forum. You'll get better responses.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum. This is a messge sent via my new IPod Touch.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Show off!

Old 12-26-2007, 07:41 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello mate,

Greetings from Narita, Japan.

I wish you find the forum helpful. Be sure to search around the 850 forum.

Cheers,

JPN

Old 12-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Default RE: New Member, quick update!

Hey now, Hey now,

Back after a few day's off and now it's time to head back to work[sm=badbadbad.gif]
I'm about to bring all of you up to speed on where I am and what I've done as well as what is left to make the ride right, , so head to the 850 forum and check out the progress and maybe a few photo's of the Quick-Brick.

Later.[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 12-29-2007, 02:50 AM

I-Pod Touch huh? Sounds like a sweet toy but for right now I think I'll pound more cash into my ride as engines aren't cheap.

Quick Brick

Old 12-29-2007, 04:04 AM
JPN

And make sure that the timing belt, all T-belt related pulleys & hydraulic tensioner have been replaced within the last 70,000 miles or 5 years.

JPN

Old 01-08-2008, 09:59 PM

Hey now, hey now to all of you 850 lovers out there.

Here is a list of the things that I have replaced/repaired on the Brick and I really don't want to discourage anyone out there fom buying a used Volvo 850 but "let me tell yooooooo" you need to be very careful about checking the car COMPLETLYover before you buy.

Don't take this the wrong way, I really like this car and it is one of the best cars that I've owned in a really long time, but, it has gone to hell in a hand basket really fast and I'm not in a position to just walk away.

The List

Front right headlight- adjuster screwed - light looking for snipers in the trees.
Radiator - leaking and this is never good.
A/C compressor - bearing began to fall apart/seize causing the belt to smoke - not good.
Sway bar links - looked fine in the beginning but quickly fell apart.
Front left drive shaft - ABS tone ring was was slippingon the shaft and then fell off.
Front left caliper - seized up - but still have no abs but the brakes are great - need to figure this out later.
Front struts and mounting hardware.
Rear shock and mounting hardware.
All four disc's - it was time.
All pads - it was time.
Emergency brakes - it was time.
Steering rack - leaking bad.
Power steering lines - also leaking bad.
Blower motor - bearing squeel was softto startand then was too much to take.

I have a really good shop for repairs and things were going well. I had was about caught up on paying off the repairs and had just put a new set of winter tires on the car (Nov. 16) and wasfairly happy at that point.

I could hear a little squeek coming from under the front engine cover and thought that it might be a pully being fussy and made an appointment for a timing belt change as the last one was about 100k km ago and, while not cheap, I knew it was time to get it done before the snow flew.

Took mom out for lunch on the 17th and just before I could get home I heard this really bad, and I mean bad, squeel and then nothing. Let the car roll to a stop and all I could do was smile. Not happy but I knew what had just happened and knew that there was nothing I could do.

I knew right there and then what had happened. The timing belt was done because the the water pump bearing had seized and snapped the timing belt. Sweet ramalamadingdong.

I'm not going to use foul language here but after this latest failure I really needed a drink because I knew that this was going to kill the savings.

It was bad and the valves had been bent in too many directions and the repair of the head was going to be at least $2k.

It too a couple of weeks to find a good used engine ($1750 from adealership out west from an850 that was always dealer serviced, with papers to prove it but written off in a rear ender)and then another week to get here and to have any kind of warranty I had to replace all of the seals and timing belt, water pump and a few other things.

On the bright side the intake and exhaust manifolds were new and there was a tune up performed on the car recently giving me Volvo plugs, wires and cap.

When I actually see the total bill on paper and get a copy, because this going to take some time to pay for, I'll spend a day and post as many pictures of the car with shots of all of the good things.

Thanks for listining and reading and I'll be back.

Later.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 AM
JPN

I'm sorry about the problems, especially the last one.

However, please note that most cars as old as 850 require similar amount of repair, more or less. This is because 80% or more people do not understand the importance of scheduled maintenance/preventive maintenance. Although it may not be my problem, itstill upsets me that many people end up paying a fortune tokeep their car on the road, only because the previous owners neglected on scheduled maintenance. It also upsets me that many people try to save money by installing non-OEM or low-quality aftermarket parts that are made in God knows what country. Most people seem to want to save $300 now and spend $2,000 in a year.

I would say approx 80% (or more) of used cars in the market need something major, though it depends on the year & mileage. Deteriorated coolant & brake fluids are all too common, and I would be surprised to find a 10-year old car that has fresh coolant, brake fluid, gearbox fluid, etc... I think the only exceptions are the regular members here & professional automotive service technicians.

As to the water pump bearing seizing, I wonder if it was really the case. Water pumps on 850 are extremely robust and they can go quite a while without replacement. I replaced mine at 143,000 miles, only because it had a minor seepage.

Let us know if we can be of an assistance.

JPN

Old 01-09-2008, 11:31 PM

[sm=smokin.gif]Thanks for the great show of support.

When I had the radiator replaced I was really hoping that I would only need to do the timing belt and be on my way to some happy motoring. But noooooooo.[:@][][&o]

After replacing the rad I could, on occasion, smell that sweet scent of coolant [:-]but I was thinking that it might have been, you know,some residue left after the replacement not realizing that, and after looking all over the net , the water pump bearings might leak with age.

My car currently has a little over 300k km and the last belt change was around the 180 mark and I knew where the previous owner had taken the car and had gone there (he had a lot of work done at this spot) and spoke the shop and was told that they replace everything when changing the belt but didn't feel that good about the place as it didn't really look like a quality shop, or any other kind of shopby any means.

So I was concerned but holy freakin' waaa[sm=headbang.gif]I didn't think that this would happen [sm=jawdrop.gif]. When I saw my old engine sitting at the shop the first thing that I did was give the old pump a spin, but as I suspected, the thing was stiffer than a woody in winter[:@]. That sucker wasn't gonna move for me, God, or anyone for that matter and the belt was there and I didn't know that it could look like that.

A few of my friends have told me to just walk away from the car [sm=insomnia.gif]. NOT BLOODY LIKELY.[sm=badidea.gif]after all of the love [sm=loveeyes.gif]that I put into it. I'm not giving a car with all of that work done to it away for next to nothing so someone else car have a great car. [sm=imsorry.gif],but I'm in this for the long haul now and I don't really care what anyone says. VOLVO FOR LIFE MY FRIENDS

Besides, I'm almost finished now and allI need is a starter, current one is rusty as heck, and a coil as the current one is arcing in all the wrong directions. these parts I'm getting off of EBay and when they get here there going on and I'll finally be back in the driver seat [sm=smiley20.gif]and all will besweet [sm=wootwoot.gif][sm=yeahsmile.gif].

I'll be back soon with more, hopfully , good news and some [sm=Flahssssss.gif]. I'm still trying to get my pics off of the old computer and on to the laptop here so it might take a bit but it will happen and then I'll show you what I gave up for the Brick and tell you why.

Back soon so for now,

LATER [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-13-2008, 01:39 PM

Hey now, hey now,

Spoke with the shop on Friday and found out what the total for all of the work will cost and was surprised as it is high but not what I thought it might have been if I had heard them correctly over the phone on Tuesday.

When I spoke with Jen on Tuesday I thought that she had said,[sm=helpout.gif],$5700[sm=yikesomg.gif] in parts alone [sm=headbang.gif].
Sweet funk! [sm=icon_flaming.gif]

Thankfully she said that, boy was I wrong[sm=signs007.gif], and when all is said and done I'll be in the range of$4500 -$4700 tax and all [sm=proof.gif].

I'm getting a little break with the labour [sm=smiley20.gif]and that's always a good thing.

The car sounds great as I hadn't heard it running since 2pm Nov. 17/07 and it was a really sweet sound to hear and now all I need is to receive the coil that I ordered from EBay so that I'll have a proper properly workingignition system [sm=wootwoot.gif].

The starter can wait for a little bit, not long[sm=smiley4.gif]mind you, but it will be replaced with one from EBay as the price that I was quoted from the dealer ($698) ain't happening any time soon [sm=smiley21.gif].

I realize that older cars need a little extra love, and I'm fine with that,to keep them up to par but when the engine became a paper weight I thought that "this just can't be right [sm=smiley7.gif], must have some bad karma goin' on somewhere [sm=wtf.gif].

But things are coming together and while it has been some time since I've been able to drive the Brick
[&o]and I'm looking forward to "rollin' down the highway" the first chance I get[sm=gears.gif] [sm=grinangel.gif].

I'll be back in a few days with an update, hopfully no more two foot shuffle,and while I'm still having a little trouble with the moving photos top the laptop, I'll be taking more pic's and figure out how to set up the garage soon (I hope there's lots of space for them here)[sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Later [sm=icon_cheers.gif]