New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New member First Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member First Volvo

Update. The $200 850 has now turned into a second 850 this one cost $250.
I drove the first 850 to a local Volvo repair shop and paid them $50 to inspect it. They ( Chec Bros in wither park fl) where very knowledgable and gave me a list and quote of what was needed. The pump seal is where the leak is coming from in the transmission. I am going to pull the engine and tranny and replace all seals, timing belt water pump and PVC (anything else needed?) with the engine out. It will still need tires after that is done. Luckily I have a friend that is going to help and is letting me use a bay in his shop! Just have to wait until it's free. The tail lights on it are completely hazed white. When I checked prices for replacements (wow its more then I paid for the car for just one) so I decided to stop and ask a neighbor about the 850 wagon that's been in his drive way for 3 or more years but it has perfect tail lights. Well now I own two 850 wagons. The second one was $250 and does not run. However it has tail lights I need and a passenger side mirror I need door panels I need. So far $500 in and two cars that are not drivable but hoping to make one good canoe / dog / camping Volvo. BTW I live in Central Florida so if there's a 850 wagon part you need if I don't need it make me an offer. Both cars have the same rims so I am happy to have a real matching spare. I'll keep posting. M
Hello

Over the weekend I purchased a 1996 Volvo 850 Wagon for $200. Drove it home seemed to run and shift just fine. I was told the transmission lines are leaking. That was an understatement BLEEDING would be a better description. I ride a motorcycle full time so this wagon is really for my dog, camping and canoe hauling. Anyone here ever see someone convert a 850 Wagon into a camping mobile? Hoping I don't have to put to much $$$ into to it to make a safe reliable car. Have a great day! Mark

Attached Thumbnails New member First Volvo-volvo1.jpg   New member First Volvo-volvo2.jpg   New member First Volvo-volvo3.jpg  

Last edited by Msmiller; 04-02-2016 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-09-2016, 09:57 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Welcome! Transmission lines are the cheapest and easiest parts of the transmission to get to. So far so good.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to working on this wagon. I have been riding a motorcycle full time for five years (78 mpg) but its going to be nice to have my canoe back in use. Found a local Volvo repair shop that will check out what needs to be done to make the car safe for $50. I will take their advice and then see what I want to try and do myself. I am sure I will post a few questions and pictures here along the way.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:08 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hello Mark and welcome to the forum! Congrats on your purchase. There is a ton of information about our platform with supporting vendors who can get you where you want to go. Be sure to reach out if there something we could do to help!

Old 03-10-2016, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

to the forum Mark.

Is it leaking from the hose material itself or at the connections to the radiator or engine ??

Old 03-10-2016, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the welcome.
The underside is so cover with dirt and oil it was difficult to see where. It's does not appear to be at the radiator. Both axle boots are torn open and grease dirt a fluid cover the undercarriage all the way back to the gas tank. Planning on trying to clean the undercarriage this weekend then try to see where it's coming from. Truthfully I am thinking it multiple places with how fast it's leaking out.

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
to the forum Mark.

Is it leaking from the hose material itself or at the connections to the radiator or engine ??