New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New Member-New Volvo Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member-New Volvo Owner

I just got a well used 1995 960 w/150k at an auction. Runs OK. Needs a major cleaning and some odds & ends.

First long drive revealed a little vibration at speed in the front end, so I guess I'll be replacing all the bushings. The drivers seat leather is ripped, so I'll also look for a replacement seat or cover. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Let the fun begin.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the forum. The 960 is a great car and one of my favorite volvos. I really love how RWD handles. Post up some pictures when you get a chance.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:20 AM

I'll post some pics as soon as it stops raining.

I picked it up cheap with several known defects: Driver's seat is torn, door panel leather skins are shrunk/wrinkled, looks like someone butchered a hog on the carpets, fuel door is missing, right front turn signal light is cracked, paint on wing is peeling, MIL is glowing.

I bought a fuel door and turn signal housing on eBay. When I paint the fuel door, I'll sand and paint the wing. I'd like to replace the (working) radio head with something that plays CDs and has an auxiliary input.

Can anyone recommend a great carpet cleaner? How about a source for fitted replacement seat upholstery?

More to follow as the project progresses.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:46 AM

Progress report:
1. Turn Signal - I scored a replacement aftermarket turn signal assembly for $25 delivered. The old one popped out and the new one slid in like buttah!

2. Fuel Door: eBay to the rescue. After trying to source it locally, without any luck, I finally found one on eBay for $30 delivered. I am painting it with the closest Dupli-color match I could find. It's not perfect but it'll do. I have my 3rd coat of clear on it now and will probably do the install this weekend.

3. When I went to check the oil, the dipstick handle came out, leaving the dipstick in the tube. I managed to get the dipstick out with a pair of needlenose pliers. I cleaned both parts with carb cleaner, filed some notches in the end of the metal part of the dipstick (to give it some "teeth") and JB-Welded it back together. I got a new o-ring as well.

Question: The round red warning tag that is on the dipstick handle has warped into a taco-shaped mess. Any ideas on flattening it out? I was considering placing it between two weighted plates in the oven and gradually increasing the heat until it straightens out. Does anyone have a source for these, or perhaps one from a vehicle that's going to the scrap yard?

Still trying to find a replacement seat cover for the tan leather driver's seat. I'd consider buying a whole seat.

More later.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome! I have purchased 3 960's and love them. It's a pretty plush car. Here is a link to a member that custom makes seat covers: https://volvoforums.com/forum/sale-t...t-skins-45244/

Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:12 PM

I just bought a 1995 960 wagon today. My first Volvo. Can't wait to see how it goes.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:44 AM

Trying to find parts is a chore. When I do find them, the prices are somewhat, ummm, exorbitant.

Case in point: It appears that the car had fog light at one time. The switch on the dash lights up, but there are two gaping holes in the bumper fascia where the lights used to be. Replacement lights are $130 each, new. Used parts are as scarce as hen's teeth.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket light that will provide a reasonably good fit and appearance?

Old 03-25-2011, 12:16 PM

I just bought a used 2003 XC90 T6. It runs great, interior is fantastic... I just installed a USB/Aux interface to the original factory CD Changer... But I have a small problem that just started two days ago... When i step on the breaks, I get a message "Check Stop Lamp" I've read some forums and it says to replace the break relays. Is that correct? is there a way to find out if thats the issue or something else. Please help.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:12 PM

I'd check and see if you have any bulbs burned out.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:20 PM

Update:

The blue/green paint I used on the fuel door isn't as great a match as I'd like, but it beats having no door at all.

I had the battery die on my and replaced it. Lucky that Advance Auto had a 20% off coupon.

Read the ECU codes and had a "Low Idle Speed" and "Low Catalytic Converter Signal". Since the car runs just fine, I performed a reset and the light is out now with no recurrence so far.

It's been too cold and wet to clean the carpets. I've ordered sample of pleather to use to re-cover the door panels. Still looking for seats/covers. Also need the front mud guards that blend into the lower side trim. Both mine are missing.

Also, the power antenna is permanently up. I can hear the motor running when I turn the car off. Can I just replace the mast or otherwise rebuild it?

More to follow.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:38 AM

Update:

Ordered a new antenna mast. Once it arrives, I'll do a tutorial with pictures.

I finally found some nice, shiny stainless hardware to replace the rusty license plate bolts. After trying Lowes, Auto Zone, Advance and several hardware stores, including Fastenal, I found them at Home Depot. I know this is a minor thing, but it just bugs the heck outta me.

I can't wait for some consistent good weather so I can start working on the front end. There are definitely some worn bushings in there.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:56 PM

Antenna arrived yesterday. It went in so easy it's almost embarrassing. Removed the nut on the fender, pulled the old one out, turned the radio on and off as I fed the new one in. Three cycles and viola, it's done!

I swear it happened so fast I didn't even get a chance to take pictures.

Still looking for a set of fog lights. I almost bit and bought a set of cheapies to "make fit", but calmer heads prevailed and I'll keep looking for some used originals.

When the weather gets nicer I need to take the seats out, fix the non-working passenger power seat and shampoo the carpets.

The passenger power seat switch housing is broken. Anyone have a spare or a car going to the crusher?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Default Disaster!

I was taking my son to a music class. When I parked, I smelled a burning electrical odor and saw smoke wafting from under the hood. I cursory inspection revealed that the cooling fan motor has failed--all the magic smoke escaped and now it won't work!

I pulled the fuse and drove the car home briskly.

Off to the internet...Hmmm...$450! Keep looking...$385! Ouch...$280...Still painful...$175...Looking...$100 bucks delivered! I have an email in to the seller to make sure that what he's advertising is a drop-in replacement.

Additionally, it looks like most of my door panel hardware is broken or MIA and the two door-pull screws are the ONLY thing holding two of them on. Does anyone have a list of what's needed?

Old 05-05-2011, 08:58 AM

Finally got the fan. Works like a charm and boy, is it nice to be back in the Volvo.

I found one fog light and am looking for the other.

I have been sea-sawing on what to do with the radio. I have the stock AM/FM/Cassette. I would like to do something to at least add a CD player. Auxiliary inputs would be nice too. Does anyone know about an aux input that easily interfaces with the stock radio?

Also, I'm still looking for the front mud flaps that join to the rocker trim.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:13 AM

The weather finally cleared up some. I've acquired both fog lights and am going to install them next weekend. The stock bulb is a 27w GM881 according to the owner's manual. Would it be OK to go with 55w H3 bulbs instead? Does the higher wattage put an unacceptable stress on the electrical system?

Also, I replaced the crumbling shift handle. I scored a used on on eBay for cheap. Removing the old one was a challenge. The current wisdom is to "grab on and pull for all you are worth." No go. Instead, I used a ratchet strap hook attached to the handle, and the other end tied around a baseball bat. Padding the dash with a folded towel, and using the bat as a lever, I was able to pry the shift handle off very easily. New one went in like butter.

Got two new front tires and boy, does it make a difference on the highway. I'd like to do a set of struts and some sway bar bushings this summer.

I've been researching the various devices available for running an MP3 player through the CD changer connection. Based on prices, it'll be cheaper to install an aftermarket radio with an auxiliary input.