New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New Members

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Members

Hi everyone,

My husband and I just purchased a 1983 Volvo 240GL Wagon to replace our 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser. We like older cars that are reliable and easy to work on. My husband and I decided to sell the FJ60 for several reasons: Primarily, it is a stick shift and I can't drive it:-); It only gets 15MPG:-(; When we go skiing, we've been riding with friends that own a Subaru Legacy AWD.

Our past Volvos:

1966 122S
1980 244 Diesel

We expect to use the 240GL for around town errands with occasional weekend camping trips. The reason we selected the wagon is to haul supplies for our ongoing restoration of our 100 yr old Craftsman home. We also have an 80 pound dog (Boxer) that is hard on the leather seats in our Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel. The dog gets really dirty when we take him to the off-leash area in the Sunol Wilderness Area. One of the first items we need to add is a heavy-duty dog barrier that will confine him in the cargo area.

My husband is an engineer and is replacing ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings and motor mounts this weekend. We have an appointment for new tires and alignment Monday. He works for a start-up company so I do all the on-line research for all our vehicles and hobbies. The car has 189k miles now and we expect to drive it until oil consumption becomes a problem. At that point, my hubby wants to swap in an Audi 5 cylinder turbo diesel. The body, interior and chassis are sound and there is no rust anywhere. The vehicle has been well maintained, garage kept and spent its whole life in California. There is a sticker on the rear window that indicates the vehicle was delivered in Sweden under the Tourist Program.

Happy New Year,

Boxermom
NorCal

Old 01-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 PM

Very Cool........ Keep that sticker on the car, it just makes it that more intresting of a car. Now why would you put in an Audi motor? I would just rework the motor already on there.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Volvo family.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:30 PM
Smile Hello! New Member here...

Well, after 35 years I totaled my first car, my beloved Jeep Wrangler which suited my lifestyle at the Delaware Beaches just fine. I will use another 4X4 I own for the sand and bought a very clean 1999 S80 from a client of mine who is, unfortunately, losing his ability to drive due to eyesight. I am his insurance agent so I know he has not ever had an accident with the car. It just rolled over 100K miles on it, and I put about 5,000 miles a year on her. He took excellent care of her, only owner, and I have all the records and will stick with the same mechanic. I put a new headliner in her and new tires and so far that's been it! I haven't had a Volvo since my 1996 850 Turbo Wagon, bought new, which was a magnet for speeding tickets and destroyer of Pirelli tires (but fun to drive!) I hope this older girl lasts me a long time and to learn to take care of her well. So happy to find this forum!

Old 12-09-2018, 05:38 AM

Hello Forum members. I own a 2010 XC60 T6 and my wife owns a 2011 S60 T6. I also own a WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee and a GWM Steed 5 Double cab.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:08 AM
Default First Volvo!!!

Hi guys! Just bought a 2007 xc90 v8 a couple of days ago. All black with factory chrome wheels, it really is a nice looking ride! It does have some problems though but nothing I cant handle! Experience with forums in the past with other vehicles has never been that pleasant but I am hoping this time is different!

Old 04-28-2019, 10:43 AM

Hi there WELCOME! I am newguy too

Old 09-17-2019, 12:04 PM
Default Fng

Morning all from the greater Detroit area. My wife and I just purchased a CPO 2016 XC-90 t6 Momentum with lots of custom add-ons to replace our ageing 2007 Honda Odyssey touring. Did a lot of lot surfing to compare various manufacturers products and ended up in the Volvo. Looking forward to many years of use. Glad to be here and am ready to participate as necessary.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:49 AM

Hi BoxerMom,

I have a Mercedes 1984 300TD. Love it.

850Tack

Old 10-11-2019, 02:04 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks for your share. https://bit.ly/2lQT25p

Old 10-25-2019, 01:37 PM
Default New Member by association

Hello, bought our daughter a 2005 S80 in 2013 for her Christmas/birthday first car. Yes I wish I had such a car at that age.

2005 Volvo S80 FWD 2.5 Turbo130,000 miles

Looking forward to learning and if possible helping on this forum.

Wife and I owned a 1990 240 for 20 years before giving it to a young man who wanted to fix it up like new for himself. It had been parked for about two years and my daughters both at the time begged us that it would not be their first car. Later both when old enough to drive said they sure wish we still had the 240, sigh.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:33 AM

Greetings all,

New-ish member here... I originally joined this forum years ago when I briefly had an '81 240 DL. I think this may be my first post...

I am the proud new owner of a 2003 S60 AWD and I absolutely love it! 205,000+ miles but she looks and feels like a new-ish car, inside and out. I am quite pleased with the thoughtful, quality engineering, including how I fit in the driver seat ( I'm tall. Telescopic tilt steering anyone? ) The ride quality, handling, steering feel, brake feel, accelerator pedal feel and overall power and aesthetics suite me quite well ( and other luxuries like heated mirrors and seats, auto dimming rear view mirror, an exceptional sound system and safety features/crash ratings...I think I counted 8 airbags? ).

I never considered owning any Volvo after the 1990's and older RWD platforms but, this one is exceptional- she's had two previous owners, dealership maintained. Second/previous owner is/was a Volvo technician. Recent maintenance performed includes new T-belt, new ignition coils, engine oil/filter, trans fluid and angle gear oil.

I have had many cars since I was 16 years of age and all have been pretty forgiving ( all 15 to 30 years old ). A 1991 Honda Civic was my first fuel injected car and I've never looked back at carburetors. I do my own maintenance and repairs and it seems that these Volvos may be less forgiving and require more diligent maintenance (?) Which is fine...I am experienced enough and financially stable enough to handle it. I am a careful shopper with cars and I think I found a good one.

I will be doing a lot of browsing/reading, and I look forward to a long future with this car. I'm sure some of you forum members are quite experienced with Volvos. I am open to ANY information, suggestions and advise regarding these lovely cars.

Platform- P2
Engine- B5254T
Transmission- AW-55/50
Rear Differential- Haldex Gen II

Regards,
JF

Old 10-30-2019, 01:01 AM

Hello all,
I have a 98 s70t5m that I have done bit of work to.
Ecu stage 2 tune
Kinugawa .5bar spring wastegate
Snow wmi kit
Silicone charge pipes
Silicone vacuum lines
Ipd tcv
Stainless brake lines fcp
Slotted rotors Powerstop
Viva strut bar
Green injectors 465cc
Swedish car parts 9mm silicone wires
Snaab fresh air pipe
Leistung 3" downpipe to 3" vband test pipe to 2.5 magnaflow to straight back
The stock 16t pulled 18psi with no knock with 60/40 water meth mix
Anyway car was a 1 owner from Boston an 50 year old woman bought new and had its whole life until I bought it last spring.
Turbo had no shaft play, not a spot of rust on chassis or body and zero oil leakage.
Car pulled hard til something damaged in bottom end and is knocking loudly.
I purchased a 04 c70 b5224t9 with 60k and an about start the swap.
I've read many threads I know must of it accessories bracket, intake manifold, cps and distributor require cams drilled etc etc
Luckily motor came with water pipe, feed lines, and even turbo so that is a plus.
I know I also need the 99+ front motor mount, and 98 crank sensor.
What i haven't found an answer to is fuel line obstacle?
Anybody done an rn swap?
Forgot to mention im also running aem x series wideband lambda regulation no stock o2 sensors.

Last edited by Ota Greven; 10-30-2019 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 10-30-2019, 03:21 AM

Having a 850 and looking for a 480

Old 11-01-2019, 10:59 AM

Purchased a 2009 S80 looking for an affordable scanning tool.. Seems the passenger front and rear doors are powerless. Any Suggestions?

Old 01-29-2020, 10:30 AM
Smile Hello, new member here

Hello, new to the forum, hope I got this right. I own a 1999 Volvo S80 turbo with 116,000 miles. I bought it in 2017 with 80k miles for $3000 from an older man who was the original owner, unfortunately he was going blind. The wife and he decided to keep their Subaru because she felt the Volvo was “too much car”. Other than replacing the headliner and worn boot on the shifter all I have done unti now was oil changes and new tires. Unfortunately the power steering had a leak and she had to get rebuilt, which took a while to diagnose (3 mechanics) and repair due to parts availability. I now have 5 grand in the car, and expect to have some good years ahead but at this old age, anything can happen. I only drive 3000 miles a year, seldom on highways as I live near REHOBOTH Beach, Delaware. My other car is always a Jeep for surf fishing.

Hoping to hear from some high mileage owners to assure me I am not sinking money down a black hole. My last Volvo was an 850 Turbo sport wagon, a wolf in sheep’s clothing, cost me many speeding tickets and three sets of tires in 3 years. I had a huge car payment but It sure was fun, I had to trade it in on a minivan. Too many kids!

Love to hear from some happy owners, but appreciate reading through these posts and knowing what to expect.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:06 PM

I was expecting to find the new member "introduce yourself thread", but I guess this forum is too uppity for that. I'm not new to forums, so I know you all will tell me "search" as soon as I ask any question. I'm a first time Volvo owner, so just shoot a link to a convo if I didn't find my answer already. Just got an 04 XC90 with the rare V8.

Old 05-21-2020, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Nice to be here

Hi everyone,

I'm a Volvo lover and proudly own a S60 2003 with 128000 miles on the dash. This is my third one of same model. Volvo are very reliable and dependable cars, and now after been working in different shops as ASE Master Tech, finally joined the select family of Volvo Cars here in Florida. No matter I am still on training and learning about new models, I would like to share my experiences with you all and viceversa. Don't hesitate to ask me or comment about your cars, I would like to help finding an answer for you as well know about your impressions having a Volvo, in particular P2 platform S60. Seeya!

The following users liked this post:
98Unicorn (11-23-2020)
Old 09-01-2021, 01:17 PM
Default New Member Here - Checking In

Glad to be back in the 140/240 fold after about a 25 year hiatus. Purchase my first Volvo a '69 145 w/4 speed about 40 years ago, I did a partial engine overhaul at around 150,000mi., switched from FI to dual carbs, drove another 60-70,000mi. and sold it 5-6 yrs. later after it was rear ended. A couple years later found a nice '76 245 w/4 speed/OD, drove for six years and sold it after it too was rear ended.

Just purchased my 3rd Volvo a nice '89 240 Sedan w/B230F/4 speed auto with no rust or leaks, I'm actually impressed at how spirited it is with the auto trans and still have my eyes out for another wagon.

I will likely have some maintenance and parts questions down the road. Fortunately I do most of my own maintenance/repairs and may be able to lend a hand here once some manuals are acquired. Thank you.

Quick Reply: New Members