New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New old 245 member...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New old 245 member...

Growing up we had a new 1978 245 manual wagon. Yellow, of course. Finely put her down with 458k smiles on her in 1992. Iconic car that was in my life from 7 thru mid-college.
I owned a 2000 Xc for a few years and even talked my wife into an 850 sedan for a few years.
Now as a 'grown up' I have been yearning for sometime to get a 240. Of course it had to be a wagon AND a manual.
This week I finally got my car. 1990 240DL 5-speed wagon (not yellow....yet)
Solid body. Low miles. I'm shaking her out and seeing what issues I will be contending with short & long term. Like the windshield leaks, she is a bit twitchy at highway speeds, etc.

I look forward to cruising the forum for answers and ideas. I have to balance my dreams of wrenching myself and it being an awesome ride to the reality of what I can do (along with work and 3 daughters) and just enjoying the brick for what it is...awesome in my mind.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome aboard, your Volvo story is much like mine. I was in auto class at the time I drove my first 240. It was a teachers car that needed a battery so we had it in our shop class. After putting in a new battery we had to test drive it and then park it. I was the lucky one that got to test drive it. After that I always loved the 240's. Many years went by and I been through many cars then moved from Florida to Maine. After moving here our first winter my older son wrecked our 2004 L300 Saturn. It was totaled so we had to get something else and thats when I started looking at Volvos. (many reasons I chose Volvo). My wife wanted the XC70 so we got her a 2003 xc70, this was our first volvo. Keep in mind at this time I am bird ******* the 240's but there is no interest in 240's in my family besides me. Well now my older son needs a car. He tries to avoid a volvo (old persons car) but with my pro and con list he can't find anything he would like to drive besides a Volvo. He lands himself a 2001 S60 and falls in love with it. Now my father in the mean while see us sporting two great looking great running cars for a price that was very affordable so he wants to get rid of his rusted out 95 chevy blazer and get a volvo. He very much like us is a wagon man so we found him a 98 xc70. He loves this car, said from day one how well it drives and how its the nicest car he has ever owned. Well now my youngest is getting ready to start college, he has a good distance between school and home so I make sure to get him a Volvo ...02 S60. At this point you can see everyone in my family has a volvo now but my mother and I. I am still day dreaming of a 240 one day , but with being the mechanic on my family's fleet I am to busy to take on a project of my own. Well my phone rings, its my mom she was just in an accident some one side swiped her car and totaled her toyota camry and now she don't have a car. My parents are retired and live on a fixed income so I put my money up and bought her a 98 S70 (N/A) she has the only non-turbo. So now everyone in my family has a volvo besides me.

I wanted a turbo 240, but good luck finding one. I decided I was going to take the plunge and just build one up myself thats when I bought my 1990 Volvo 240 5 Speed (wagon). Once I got it home I realized it needed much love to get it back into good shape, I started on small things but just keep digging deeper and deeper and buying more and more new parts. At this point I have my dream car but I can't drive it so I go out and buy another 240 a 1993 sedan, I do not plan on fixing this one up, just using it to drive until I get my wagon finished. By the way this was all about 3 years ago. I been working on my 240 wagon ever since.

Wondering where the 240 wagon is?

Its been garage kept for the past 3 years and has major amounts of work done. I am not pulling it out till it is 100% finished. Its about 95% finished so it will be soon.

BTW if you got photo's I would love to see them