New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New Owner: v70 t5

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner: v70 t5

Hello all,

I've just bought my first Volvo.

I've been driving a Jeep Cherokee (1995) for the past decade and was in the market for a Rav4 or Highlander to replace it, based on their strong reliability and simple repairs. This choice was based on lots of perusing Consumer Reports and comparing models.

While on the lot, I test drove an xc70 and was hooked - obviously it was a much more appealing car than the yawn-inducing grocery getters. That one was higher mileage than I could comfortably purchase so i kept shopping, but the Volvos had my interest.

While on a dealer lot, i noticed a 2001 v70 t5. It had just been traded in by an older woman who put it toward a new Jeep. I asked about the car learned it only had 30,000 miles on it. I test drove it, ran the carfax (which was clean and showed the mileage was accurate), and went on Edmunds to look at reliability as CR doesn't go before 2003. I bought it for $6,000.

Now I see that the 2001 is notorious for a host of issues and I am pretty uneasy with my purchase. I know it's a great price for the mileage and I very much enjoy the car, but I'm worried about it becoming a lemon and don't know what my options are.

I'm going to take it in today for the suggested software update (thanks JRL and others) and perhaps a transmission flush. Aside from that, I am nervous. Want to just relax and enjoy this ride but honestly I'm waiting for things to go wrong.

That said, I'm a happy if not nervous owner of a very nice vehicle!

Old 08-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase.

Extremely low mileage on the car would seem to be helpful for you and the potential longevity of the car.

I think doing the preventative maintenance you mentioned is an exceptional idea.

Older, low mileage cars are a gamble just as higher mileage ones, but I would feel better about having to spend a great deal of money on one with few miles. That odometer reading makes all the difference to most buyers, especially if you decide to cut your losses and sell the car later.

That said, enjoy your wagon!