New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

new volvo driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new volvo driver

im steve i live in california, in the bay area

i drive a 1999 s70 volvo awd

im looking to get intake, exhaust, chip, rims w/ all season tires (need to be good for snow too)

thanks

steve

Old 11-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: new volvo driver

ORIGINAL: slang925

im steve i live in california, in the bay area

i drive a 1999 s70 volvo awd

im looking to get intake, exhaust, chip, rims w/ all season tires (need to be good for snow too)

thanks

steve
Before you look into these items. Let me speak to you first.

I own a 1999 s70 awd as well.

As far as an intake goes, EST sells one with a heatshield but it still sucks in hot air which is bad. Mainly it is for looks and you may gain 5Hp at the most from it. BMC CDA makes an intake, Viva Performance sells them. Exspensive though.

For an exhaust system since we have turbo's get a downpipe and a catback made by a local shop if they can mandrel bend. It will be a lot cheaper then any prefabbed system. Have a 3" mandrel bent downpipe made and a 2.5" mandrel bent catback made with a free flowing CAT and free flowing muffler like Magnaflow. Any straight through design muffler will do. A muffler with baffles is a bad idea. Since we are turboed we want the most free flowing exhaust we can get. And what is stated above is the best. You will see the most gains with the new downpipe.

Do the intake a exhaust before you do a ECU (Chip) upgrade. Also I would have your car dynoed before you do any modifications and also after the modifications before the ECU upgrade. Also before you begin any modifications do a complete STAGE ZERO to you car. This is very important. Stage Zero Cam Be Found Here In this link there is a link to Volvospeed. There is where you will find out all about STAGE ZERO.

Now onto an ECU upgrade. You have choices. CIVINCO (EMS), RICA, IPD, BSR, Upsolute, InMotion, SpeedTuning USA. Civinco (I would say $1000+) is a EMS type upgrade you can tune on the fly, very exspensive, RICA (Viva Performance sells this ecu upgrade), IPD are some fo the best ECU upgrades and why I said to dyno those two times was so you can send your dyno results with A/F ratios to RICA so they can tune your car better. Both IPD($700+) and RICA($800+) are exspensive as well. BSR is a nice upgrade and you can swtich between Stock and the upgrade. EST sells the BSR unit, this is also very exspensive ($900+). Now Upsolute is about $425 and a decent tune but not the best. But if you don't plan on heavy mods this is a good chip. InMotion ($200-$400) is new and a few people on Volvospeed have this ecu upgrade. I don't know if they have anything for the 1999+ models but for the money again this is a decent ecu upgrade.

I have the SpeedTuning USA ecu upgrade. Costs about $325. I love it. I have the 12PSI version of their chip. Wow what a difference it makes over stock. Might make the car run a little rich or lean though, most of the lower end chips will.

Oh also please get a Boost/Vac gauge for your Volvo before you do any modifications to the engine. This is part of the STAGE ZERO list of things to do. This gauge is very helpful. It is a great diagnostics tool to have on board. Also a WIDEBAND O2 sensor gauge is helpful as well. A Narrowband is ok but they are not as good as a WIDEBAND 02.