New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Newbie from Australia

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie from Australia

Hello all...I am a new member just droppin' by to say hi.

I am going to be buying a 1996 850 sedan; automatic, non-turbo in the next few days.

It is a beautiful, glossy burgundy colour with a rear spoiler and sunroof.

I sure I will be able to learn heaps of things on this forum

I will post some pics in the appropriate topic area ASAP

Old 03-08-2013, 04:07 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

We have several members from down under. Try to check out the buyers guide in the 850 section, look in the DIY thread.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:32 AM

hi mate, how is the 850 turning out for you ?

We live in Sydney, and in 2003 I bought to my wife an 850 Sedan 1996. She loved it, but I wasn't much impressed. Mechanically, it didn't look more stable than an aussie Ford or a Holden. I felt the engine was too heavy and sitting too high on the front axe. But then again, it wasn't worse either than the average car. Blindly following the lopsided NRMA reviews, I thought the safety aspect of Volvo was overrated. Well, I had to change my mind.

In February 2012, my wife was driving on General Holmes Drive, just before the airport tunnel. She was on the outer lane, on a stretch of freeway which has 4 or 5 lanes. On that stretch, large trucks carry containers from the port towards the warehouses inland.

One of those huge trucks changed lanes, without noticing the white Volvo 850 nearby. The truck caught my wife's car just at the middle pillar. The car turned across, perpendicular to the direction of travel. My wife's shoulder was a couple of inches from the trucks bumper, as the car was dragged along for about 100 meters.

The truck continued in its direction, coming completely into the outer lane. Because of this, the 850's back wheels encountered more friction, as they were sliding sideways on the road's edge. This might have caused some rotating movement. The 850 came off the truck and stopped facing forward.

I wasn't in the car. My wife tells that when she realised what happened, she heard voices. The glass on her side was broken, so the voices came quite close. A man's voice said: ".... wait, wait, she's still alive...". People rang the emergency line and were told how to ask standard questions. "Can you hear me, madam?" Wife said yes. "Can you move your arms? " And so on. Finally, the wife had enough of all the questions. They opened the door - it was still working! - and she got out on her own feet. Unharmed. Four hours later she was driving again on the same stretch of road, in the replacement car.

I saw the 850 later myself. The driver side doors were flattened thin as cardboard. But the wheels were straight, the car was "drivable" although still a writeoff. Inside, the cabin was intact. I could sit comfortably in it.

Needless to say, the next car had to be a Volvo as well. The insurance money came through, so we ended up with an XC90 T5 2004.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Default Hi

Hey I am new to this forum and I really like it. Most of my friends also use it. God bless

Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 PM

Im another nebie from australia as well. Glad to see theres a few of us here