New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

NEWCOMER TO VOLVO FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWCOMER TO VOLVO FORUM

I am hoping this Q&A Forum regarding Volvo's will resolve one of many problems of owning the 940 Volvo's.

I have three problems or situations which you might help me to 'troubleshoot' before I bring in for repair (if necessary).

First, I own a 1993 Volvo 940. The car has about 112K miles. Recently I notice the "4th" gear light (according to the owner's manual) on the dashboard went on and off (once in a while) but does not stay on. I thought maybe I have accidentally touch or activate the small button on the shifter control ****. So I press it hoping to reset it back to normal. Still it comes on once in a while. Hope this is nothing major or problematic to the transmission or engine.

Secondly or recently when moving the shifter from 'Park' to 'Drive' or back and forth, I notice a funny noise (slight grinding type) when shifting. Normally it is smooth when I move to the shifter position in any of the gears. Can this coincide with the first incidence or problem?

Lastly, I am currently experiencing the car is 'shutting down' when I am in the middle of driving. It happens from 5 to 10 minutes of driving. The car simply 'dies' as if there was no gas in the car when I depress the gas pedal. It has happen a couple of times with no symptoms except all the dashboard light comes on. I quickly pull over and stop the car. I re-start the ignition (sometime once or couple of times) and once it was running, the car drives normally for the rest of the trip. What is your prognosis or status regarding this problem? Any relationship or correlation to the other two problems? Appreciate your diagnostic approach or suggestion for me to check.