New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Pnp or alternator

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Pnp or alternator

hey all new here... I have a 96 850 Turbo wagon... she’s a good little car takes a lickin but keeps on tickin.. lol... recently been having an issue with it not shifting ok so I was on my way to a friends and her drive way is dirt and had a few pot holes not sure if that’s relivent in any way on the way home noticed the orange arrow was on I check to see what gear nope I’m in D wtf.. then the motor went into limp mode.. so I shift to 1st and am able to drive like a standard and get it into d ... I manage to get home. The next morning arrow still there as well as most of the warning lights are illuminated after a cpl min a few go away but still most are lit .. anyways I chance it have to get kids to school which is 20 k or so get them to school not prob. About half way home car runs great dash is clear. Next day runs fine .. day after the arrow again as well as most of the dash warning lights. Car dies. I’m unable to shift into any gear and then unable to get out of “park”.no power Then had to tow it home . Charged battery for the night . Alternator isn’t charging .. it’s curently out and will be going to be tested in the morning.. the console around the shifter was removed today as well as access to ignition switch... shifter appears to be engaging properly and in over all good condition.. alternator was from pick a part so it’s possible it died .. before I removed it I did manage to get the car to L and back up to park a cpl times... any advice would be appreciated...

Old 10-24-2017, 12:10 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

The warning light situation on these cars is confusing. Low voltage triggers "test mode" on the cluster, so when the alternator cuts out all the lights come on. They're all that way. It happens every time you get in the car just before you start it up also. Some of these lights will go away, because "test mode" is not really required for that bulb. ABS is turned on directly by the controller during testing. Oil pressure will go out because it doesn't need artificial testing.

So the result is people don't get the message that the alternator stopped. The generator light is, in my thinking, not necessary or helpful on these cars.

So anyway, if the engine is running and most of those lights come on at once, that's usually what it means.

Last edited by firebirdparts; 10-24-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i tested the battery, after i charged.running was not charging...replaced alternator (was the fix) like the lead mech said..diy robert..was the best routing for alternator replacement...i rmoved the fan instead of dip stick cause i wanted more room...4 bolts to remove...slide bottom bolt in but not all way through to hold alt in place and prep to screw into plate...slide power steering into place do top plate bolt...keep loose set all 4 bolts before tighten...2 alt bolts and nuts slide both into place i did front first so i could take a break from the swearing(lol actually not a bad job)..got to clean up area after oil cooler leak mess..one oil leak left around turbo area