New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Popping in to say Hello

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping in to say Hello

Hi, my name is Rosie and I'm a mom to two really rambuncious kids that keep me super busy. I enjoy spending time on forums, can't spell, and am often too busy to type out a complete sentence.

I am a lifelong Japanese car owner and we have kept them all for 15+ years and drive them for 200K+ miles. My husband does most of the work on our old cars in our driveway with the help of our next-doorneighborwho runs a repairshopout of his home.

We used to complain about the unsightly shop and wondered how we could report him for running an illegal buisness out of his home, but then we became friends with him, and realized he is an invaluable asset! Tools, lifts, and expertise all a stones throw away, he often helps my husband with his repairsfor nothing other than a 6-pack of beer, and lets him put our cars on his lift so hubby can go over there and work on them in his shop on his own time.

Anyway, I have lusted over Volvo's for decades, used to be the sedans, but now I'm all about the V70 wagon (kids ya know) and am so excited that we are finally "shopping" for our first one, although our price range is low (9k) I think between hubbydoing whatever repairs he can himself, the help from this site, and our neighbor, we just might be able to make this work!!

Old 03-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Popping in to say Hello

Get a 98 V70 T5 or a 96 or 97 850 Wagon. Basically the same cars. Get the Turbo model since it sounds like both you and your husband like to drive.You can also go with a 98 V70 GLT or 97 850 Wagon GLT which both have Low Pressure Turbos. Stay away from the 99-01 model years. The newer V70's are very good, but probably will not fine one for $9k or less. 99 was the first year Ford owned Volvo, which is why I stick with 98 or older.

When you find one you are serious about have somebody familiar with the cars do a pre-purchase inspection. It's money well spent and can help you barter on the price based what is found in the inspection. If the inspection finds some reason to not buy the car at all, it will be money very well spent. I've done it twice and have not been sorry.

Just my two cents.

Where you from?

Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: JimKW

Get a 98 V70 T5 or a 96 or 97 850 Wagon. Basically the same cars. Get the Turbo model since it sounds like both you and your husband like to drive.You can also go with a 98 V70 GLT or 97 850 Wagon GLT which both have Low Pressure Turbos. Stay away from the 99-01 model years. The newer V70's are very good, but probably will not fine one for $9k or less. 99 was the first year Ford owned Volvo, which is why I stick with 98 or older.
I know!You said that on the other thread. And it has given me pause to think, butI sure am in love with that new body style.

I am in east TN and there's not a huge market, I've been doing online searches in the southeast, mostly from Raleigh to Atlanta, and recentely drovea '03 at the local dealership.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My neighbor up here in Kentucky has a 96 850 wagon with turbo. Red with black interior. I think he is planning on selling it soon. If you are interested I can ask him if he is willing to sell and how much he wants.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:14 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum, and be sure to follow scheduled maintenance, especially on the timing belt + pulleys + tensioner with OEM parts.

Best of luck to you in finding a decent Volvo.

JPN