New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

S40 SE owner says hello

Old 11-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 SE owner says hello

Hi, I am the proud owner of S40 SE 1.8 petrol - UK. I have had the vehicle from new and am delighted with it - still. It is in show room condition with low mileage.

My son uses a BMW site all the time. I am very new to internet forums but I look forward to using this one.

Regards

Tony

Old 11-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: S40 SE owner says hello

Welcome

Old 11-11-2006, 09:43 AM

Hello too!

I am also a newbie here, living in the UK with a 1999 1.8i SE (GDI)

I too have had my S40 from new, so more than 7 years now and absolutely love it, especially the GDI engine (48mpg on the motorway)

Old 11-11-2006, 09:59 AM

Hi
thanks for response - I live in the Peak District - my S40 1.8i SE is superb but needed the GDI as it seems a little heavy for the hills and performance is poor. I did put all possible extras which included wider wheels etc, spoiler all electric windows - I am as excited about it today as I was on 31 Nov 1998 when I took delivery!!!

I have averaged 27 mph from new 46,000 miles - Using cruise control on motorway I tend to get 36 mph - you appear to do well - what speed?

Always intended to trade every 2 - 3 years but mine is mint with low miles - second hand value does not reflect the condition.

Tell me - since new on the odd time I have carried passengers, with someone seated rear near side tend to get a noise when hitting smallest bump - main dealers haven't located but now feel it is related to the petrol tank - have you experienced?

Old 11-19-2006, 06:32 PM

Well I'm on 127,000 miles now and still getting good economy. Last time I checked my actual measured mpg (not from the trip computer) I was getting 37mpg on a mixture of urban and motorway over a three month period. If I were you I would want to check the real mpg over a couple of tanks of petrol and if its still only around 27-30 then I'd first put Redex injector additive in my next tank and then if there's no improvement take it to the dealer and quote me!

Another quirk of the GDI that I have read of is that the throttle can coke up (carbon deposits) because of its lean burn engine. The dealership should clean this at every service, but a non-dealer might not. Not sure how this would affect performance or economy.

I sometimes get a kind of knocking noise from the rear but I think it's grit that gets into my rear spring (I hope, at least!). I can reproduce it by pushing down on the boot and it comes and goes. It doesn't matter whether the kids are in the back or not.

My biggest ****le with the GDI engine is that the injectors tend to block a bit. They're pretty complex injectors from what I believe - different spray patterns that adjust depending on fuel throughput. My symptom is that it misfires/lacks power/pulls back around 3000 rpm when gently accelerating. Add some Redex and it clears for a few hundred miles before returning.

I have no extras - the standard SE package was plenty enough for me! I do like to put my foot down at the traffic lights and I tend to use the air-con through the whole year. On the motorway I always stick the cruise control at 70.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:36 PM

Hi Simplastic

Found your reply very interesting, will take your points on board. It would appear I have the 1.8 (no i) 115 bhp - have had it remapped tho which did help!

I had a service/mot etc last week and was advised by the staff that I need to get it on the motorway and push it, possibly in fourth but higher revs. to clean the engine - as I am none technical presumably this will remove the coke deposits.

Will take your advice re redex when I next fill the tank, and reset the computer - am due o make a couple ofr relatively long journeys, for me anyway so will see what transpires and come back to you.

Having the exhaust replaced on Wednesday, was hoping to go for the Volvo sport version but proved to be considerably more expensive. Stopped using the Main dealers after the five years, £100.00 per hour plus VAT prices me out of the market, howver, the Volvo service centre I use is staffed by ex-main dealer staff, all fully trained at half the price and they always use Volvo spares so happy with the service I get.

I too use the cruise control at 70 on the rare occassions I use the motorways, find it very useful and economical.