New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Soon to be Volvo Owner

Old 04-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be Volvo Owner

Well, it's finally happening. I registered on the forums a couple of years ago (?) probably, when a friend was going to give me her old 240 wagon. That fell through, as the car was sitting at her son's house, without registration and got towed in her absence. I've pined away for a 240, ever since then. I'd always been a casual admirer, but when I moved to Georgia, I met my eventual roommate who was a big 240 enthusiast, and I got to visit and drive his car in Virginia, a 1987 240GL sedan, with such options as a factory equalizer, power sunroof, and degrees Fahrenheit 52mm temperature gauge. What a lovely, though decidedly underpowered car! I'm still an avid Honda enthusiast as well, and am a particular fan of the 3rd generation (1986-1989) Honda Accord, but also most pre 1990 Accords. I'm mostly a stock fan though, or only upgrades that are in keeping with the period of the automobile, ie original optional equipment and accessories. I presently have too many cars, but I'm paring them down now. I own a 1989 Honda Accord, which I've done quite a number on...I've blown a head gasket, replaced the engine (dealer didn't properly rebuild the engine post head gasket failure), lost a fight with the corner of a building (gas and brake pedal at the same time doesn't work so well), had someone hit it in a parking lot, flood damage in Savannah, and it still drives well, and the interior, save for the carpet looks nearly new 19 years later. The second car I own, and am also going to get rid of is a 1992 BMW 318is. If I ever own another BMW, it will have a warranty...enough said. (It went out on the freeway, when the differential seized) I inherited a 1987 Nissan Pickup from my grandfather several years ago. It's still kickin' but you know what happens when they start rusting! On the bright side, it's barely broken 80k miles. My present daily driver is a 2001 Acura CL Type S, which is an alright car. I prefer the early import styling but this is one of Honda's finer cars of the last decade. And I have to say...there's a big difference going from 120, to 260 horsepower. Alas, there are still no reliable procedures from surgically removing the lead from one's foot.

Ah, but then there's the real reason that I'm here, I'm going to be a new Volvo owner. I'm purchasing a 1983 240DL wagon. It's white, with a tan interior, automatic, and needs a hose fixed so the A/C will work. All in all, not bad for $600. I'm flying down to Texas, and driving it home to Ohio, and visiting a couple of people and places along the way. I'm praying that it doesn't turn into a huge money pit, but at 25 years old, anything's a gamble.

I'm also considering a future paint modification, after I went to the car show in Columbus. The new Volvo coupe was on display, wearing a medium blue metallic paint, with the Swedish flag painted on the roof. I was considering said Swedish flag painted on the roof of the White 240. Any thoughts? Pretty awesome, too hokey? I'm looking forward to participation on the forums!

Wes

Old 04-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Soon to be Volvo Owner

Hokey. Keep us informed on the drive home, your experiences, etc.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:05 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Wes,

Welcome back to the forum, you sound a lot like myself. I too am into Hondas as much as the 850s, and like keeping my vehicles in stock conditions + genuine factory options unless there are some aftermarket components that can prolong the life of the car (better oil, fluid cooler, additional interior/exterior lightings, etc...).

Be sure to follow scheduled maintenance on your 240. Since the 240s are starting to show age, it may not be a bad idea to go after all fluids, filters & tune-up items.

Best of luck to you,

JPN

Old 04-09-2008, 08:36 PM

Yeah, I figured that with the miles, this car has been driven just about the right amount to keep it in decent shape, without putting excessive wear on it. But, I do have some maintenance plans before I make it a daily, or semi-daily driver. I hope to save enough to do a timing belt, etc. replacement, check or change the differential and other fluids. Then, or at the same time, I can focus on the couple of aesthetic things I want to tackle. First, it needs a new trim strip (the one that goes just above the bumper), and depending on the gauges, update the gauge cluster and fill up the optional 52mm gauge area. After that, I'll get to the seats. I sew, and I wonder, is there any pattern out there available to copy for seat covers, should I just take junked ones apart, or is there a better (more original looking than the IPD covers) set available out there?

What specifically do you recommend for interior/exterior lighting upgrades? I was thinking about adding front fog lights, and a single bumper mounted driving light, but I want to be sure that that's the look I'm going for before I take that kind of plunge. It would have to be a look that celebrates the 1980s in materials and essence, gives a nod to Volvo's rally/racing record, but still resonates as the "thinking man's" car, while giving a nod to the urban/new age/hippie following. In effect, it needs to be a chameleon of Volvo connotation.

Wes

Old 04-09-2008, 09:56 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes attack the timing belt + its pulleys + tensioner first. Some older Volvos don't seem to be interference valve engines but you may want to be on the safe side.

As to lightings, I like to go with LEDs for cosmetic purposes only (license plate illumination, some additions on the interior, instrumentations, etc...) but LEDs do not produce long-distance beams as the beam pattern gets dispersed unless it comes with a focus lens (many LED flash lights now seem to come with focus lens). I would say a pair of fog lights are a great point to start. I would use yellow lamps if possible. Yellow beams do not penetrate through fog/snow any better than generic white beams but they are easier for the oncoming cars to find you.

As to re-knitting the seat seams, how about asking your Grandma? She may know some tricks we don't know about.

For continued replies, please use the 240 forum. I usually don't visit the 240 forums because there are many experts there and I only know so much about the 850s.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 04-10-2008, 12:34 AM

"I'm also considering a future paint modification, after I went to the car show in Columbus. The new Volvo coupe was on display, wearing a medium blue metallic paint, with the Swedish flag painted on the roof. I was considering said Swedish flag painted on the roof of the White 240. Any thoughts? Pretty awesome, too hokey? I'm looking forward to participation on the forums! "

Wes

Something like that is hard to tell if it will be hokey. For me personally I know right
away if I like something, but I have to actually do the work then see it in person
then decideyes I like it or no not for me. JMO

Good luck Wes. When you get that roof painted we want to see pics! Enjoy it.