New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

a story of 5 240's

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a story of 5 240's

My first car was a 1980 GL (240), and I cried alone for a few minutes as the new owners drove away. I, like so many of you, hated the thought of driving somthing so conservative and safe....Until I (by strange circumstance) took ownership of vo' #1. My initial take on this car in 1988 was to say the least unexpected. I was blown away when I wound the car up for the first time...2.1 liters, 8 valves, big heavy safe car moving out with an unexpected quickness. Then there was the initial handling test.....it nearly cost me the car, but I found the limit. The car was comfortable, reasonably roomy, economical to operate, and as a statement of non-conformity what 17 yr. old kid wouldn't want to cart surfboards around on top of it. In 1991 I purchased a 1989 240GL with the maxed out options package and only 23,000 miles on it, the car was expensive for me at the time, but when I asked my father to co-sign for me he was proud to do it. That car carried my wife and I on our honeymoon a few years later. A few years after that It carried us through the canadian rockies to Alaska. Sitka, Ak., "volvo huh....who makes that?" Needles to say I quickly became a pretty good volvo mechanic. A few years later that same car carried my three year old son back to the east coast. As a pretty decent volvo mechanic in need of of a second car I sought out a $500 wonder car, thats when I met krusty. My son named it, and it really fit. The car had been run to death by some college kid, It had locked up it's cam, oil won't move through grit choked ports. New head...no way! I polished out the bearing journals, back flushed the oil ports with compressed air and LOTS of carb and choke cleaner, filled it with oil, manually turned it over a few times, bolted it back up and fired it right up. Then I road (torture)tested it for five years. That car had a locked up odometer w/339,000 miles on it, and all I had to do to it was change the clutch and tires...In 5 years that car did some road tripping....A little faith and a pretty impressive on-board parts and tools inventory (all contained in the smugglers compartment) and that car just kept on going. It also left little pieces of it's self everywhere it went, my boy named it krusty for a reason. Then ther was the bittersweet aquisition of the '93 sedan...trading that '89 was painful, alot of memories in 7 years. I didn't cry this time, but my wife and son did. The '93 has been 7 years of trouble...I think it's soul is angry at my for removing it from the dealership where it had other vo's to vibe with. This relay, that relay, the starter, the annual water pump(yes, Ive checked the pulley alignment), and somtimes that kind of trouble shooting can drive you nutz. That car laughs at me and flicks me off as I walk by somtimes...I can feel it. Then there was the ill fated 245 turbo project car....If you want to do that ultra right you need ten grand and patience......If you're lucky you'll break even after you stand before the judge explaining why 135mph made since. Good luck with that, my luck was only ok and it was expensive to keep my license, but they allowed me to organize (and participate in) a beach cleanup as my community service. These days I drive a jeep wrangler...Iknow,I know, I've gone to the dark side, but I have a need for a serious 4wd. My father is the sales manager at a GMC dealer, he drives a V70xc to work every day. If you bothered to read my brief 'vo bio and it seemed familiar....then you are ONE too. If you know of a decent (savable with minimal investment) 164E please e-mail me.....my wife is in love with those cars...Bertones.. same deal dying to own one.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:19 AM
Default RE: a story of 5 240's

Lol - I know what you're saying about the license. I run an 850 T5 and it'll be a miracle I keep my license clean (only 21).

Welcome to the forums.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Default RE: a story of 5 240's

Im 16 and I cant even keep my license. Ill be going to court on monday to fight the ticket. You have driven volvos for longer then I have been around. Props to you.