New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Volvo Demo Derby

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Demo Derby

G'Day everyone,

Joined this forum because I have finally developed an appreciation for Volvos. I used to have a 245 wagon as my daily driver. It used to suffer from over-heating and alike, but it just kept going and going.

*WARNING: THE FOLLOWING MAY OFFEND DIEHARD VOLVO LOVERS. IF YOU ARE LIKELY TO GO INSANE READING ABOUT A VOLVO GETTING SMASHED, ESPECIALLY DELIBERATELY, THEN YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!*

My love developed when my hometown announced in 2004 it was having a demolition derby at the local agricultural show. I wanted to go in it, but had no idea what car to use. Then I realise my trusty old Volvo was sitting around doing nothing, so the wheels were put in motion. I had a great time, didn't win, but having a Volvo in the field certainly angered some of the competitors, earning me some 'unwanted' attention.

The car was pretty knackered, but the motor and gearbox were sweet. 2005 rolled around and another derby, but what to run? My dad had a 240 sedan, but the motor and box were totally cactus. So with a engine/gearbox transplant, change of tailshaft, and homemade solid engine and gearbox mounts built, plus all the necessary stripping out of the car led to another Volvo entry.

The day rolled around, and to my surprise another Volvo was entered, a 240 wagon. Obviously, my love for Volvo and belief in their strength wasn't unfounded. The event was utter madness. There were some big cars, and I copped quite a few hits. Some even tore giant holes in the doors. After it had all finished, I found myself the las car running, winning my first derby and I had a good old Volvo to thank for it!

Plans for 2006 are already in full swing with another 240 sedan already acquired, and the hunt for more of these awesome pocket bricks is in motion.

Hope I haven't offended anyone, but please leave comments if you so desire.
Cheers,
Brett

Old 05-01-2005, 02:22 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Volvo Demo Derby

Im not affended I think it is pretty cool!!!

I have never heard of someone doing that before.I have run in a couple of derby's before and if I did again a Volvo would be the way to go.

Congrats on the win and good luck in the future.

Old 05-02-2005, 03:23 AM

Cheers for that. I have some pics of all of it, before and after, so if I get the chance I'll post them up on this website in the gallery for all to see.

Thanks again,
Brett

Old 05-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Thank you I will be looking foward to seeing them.

Old 05-02-2005, 08:59 PM

Yeah I was talking to these guys from the Praries. They said they derbied Volvo's all the time. There's like steel bars running through the doors and stuff. His bud hit him doing 65 km/h in the door and it just ripped a hole in it. Didn't dent the bars or anything. Tough things those Volvos ;D

Good luck with future derbying (PS I love the suspension system in the front bumper hahah)

Old 05-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Administrator

i have heard of a few demo derby groups back home that have literally outlawed the volvos in the compact class because they do too well.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:58 AM

yeah they got banned in the four-cylinder classes in australia too. if you run a volvo, you have to run in the open class with the 6 cylinders. i had to run with a 1970 ford fairlane, which luckily for me was driven by my brother. he's insane! lost reverse, so started hitting going forwards. stopped when the radiator encapsulated the fan locking the motor up. should have seen the destruction he caused. i watch videos of it and i shudder.

hopefully will get around to posting pics soon.