New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

what is the first thing to make my car faster

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the first thing to make my car faster

guys let know about chip's ... i mean what can i do to improve my cars horse power..... and etc

Old 05-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: what is the first thing to make my car faster

1. Welcome to the forum.

2. Slow down and listen to what I am going to say to you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. For starters what Volvo do you own? I see your name is S60R. But is that what you own?

2. What is your budget?

3. What is your Hp goal?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the standard and a good way of upgrading your already fast car. You wont be disappointed by going this route.

1. Get your car up and running like it should be fromt he factory. It is called STAGE ZERO and it can be found here in this thread here, https://volvoforums.com/m_38606/tm.htm

2. Get on the dyno and do a baseline run with A/F ratios. This will let you know what you have and have to work with.

3. Intake and exhaust system first. These items can be found again in the link above that I posted. Just search the aftermarket websites provided. However I suggest putting a K&N panel filter into your stock airbox. Why? Because the stock airbox is the best setup out there for our Volvo's. Next exhaust system. 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a 2.5"-3" mandrel bent catback system with a free flowing muffler like a Magnaflow. You want a free flowing straight through design muffler because turboed cars need to breath and a baffled muffler like a Flowmaster wont allow it. You can be premade downpipes and exhaust systems, but you will pay a pretty penny for them.

4. Second dyno run. Again with A/F ratios. This will let you see what you have gained from the intake and exhaust mods.

5. ECU tuning. IPD, RICA, BSR. These are the three companies I recommend to you for ECU tuning. You wont be disappointed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now if you want more power here are some other ideas. These are add ons to the above.

1. FMIC. Ditch the OEM intercooler and custom fab a nice FMIC (Front Mount Intercooler).

2. Larger turbo. If you do this your going to have to get another ECU tune if you already did an ECU tune. Also you may or may not need a new downpipe and catback system. I say this because if it is a different outlet turbo then your OEM turbo and you upgraded your OEM turbo with a 3" downpipe and catback system. The upgraded downpipe wont work on a different outlet turbo. Example: Lets say you OEM turbo is a straight outlet turbo. Lets say you upgrade to an angled outlet turbo. The downpipe wont be swapable.

3. Bigger injectors. However I think your car is already running some of the bigger OEM injectors Volvo makes for these cars.

4. Upgraded internals. Rods/Pistions/Etc...

5. Port and polish of Intake and Exhaust manifolds. And or having tubular or log manifolds custom made for your car.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what is the first thing to make my car faster

Humor me a minute here.....

The idea of a ported polished manifold is to reduce the turbulance of the system...creating a cooler, free-er flowing exhaust right? I've read that in a turbo setting, it's better to have that turbulance. So my question....is it really benificial to your potential HP gains to port/polish the manifold on a Turbo?