New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

xc90 wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 03:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy xc90 wiper problem

Hi, the front wipers on my xc90 do not work. Dealer has run diagnostics. Wiper motor is ok, but problem is in 'electronic central unit' or something like that. That should be replaced, but it needs to come from Sweden, has to be programmed specifically for my car and will cost around euro 2k .... So too expensive for my xc90 from 2008. I can't sell the car because it will not pass the inspection. Does anybody have a suggestion? The car is running fine and I hate to scrap it just for this wiper problem! Thanks!

Old 06-23-2019, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

The CEM (central electronic module) is a common electronics control unit that contains relays for various components. Not sure where you are located but the part is readily available in the states for about $700 US. With that said there's two other options - find a recycle yard for a used unit. You dealer may need to program it as some models/years have the CEM paired to the central computer. A second option is to find a service such as XeMODeX who rebuiilds the units. The most common fairures of CEMs are either cracked solder joints which can be resoldered or the relay component for a specific function burns out and will need to be replaced. This typically costs $250 US and does not require dealer programming since its the original unit. Down side is you'd need to remove the unit to send out for repair. Google around for various repair services, they should be easy to find and instructions for removing the CEM can be found on Youtube.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mt6127
The CEM (central electronic module) is a common electronics control unit that contains relays for various components. Not sure where you are located but the part is readily available in the states for about $700 US. With that said there's two other options - find a recycle yard for a used unit. You dealer may need to program it as some models/years have the CEM paired to the central computer. A second option is to find a service such as XeMODeX who rebuiilds the units. The most common fairures of CEMs are either cracked solder joints which can be resoldered or the relay component for a specific function burns out and will need to be replaced. This typically costs $250 US and does not require dealer programming since its the original unit. Down side is you'd need to remove the unit to send out for repair. Google around for various repair services, they should be easy to find and instructions for removing the CEM can be found on Youtube.
Thanks a lot! Yes the dealer said it needed to be reprogrammed. I am in Dubai so it probably is more difficult here to get this CEM; they said they had to import it from Sweden. They said the problem was caused by a short circuit in the roof wiring which was fixed. I will try to find someone who can fix it here. Or take it to Holland as I need to go there soon. Thanks!