Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

91 volvo turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 volvo turbo help

Hi i just bought a used turbo from a 740 turbo, its a tdo4h-13c, i cant find much of anything about this turbo. I know it is a very small one adn im going to put it on a integra as a dd. but what i cant figure out it is the lil circular part by the inlet on the turbo. it has a built in wastegate, and im sure the lil circle thing is some sort of oil cooler but i dont know. any help or information on this turbo would be great! thanks

Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 91 volvo turbo help

The thing on the far right is the CBV. It is like a BOV, but it is built into the turbo:

Old 01-22-2009, 12:40 PM

o ok cool, thanks, so if i use that instead of a aftermarket bov will there be any problems doing that? and I noticed on some of the posts on here a lot of guys have blocked it off. I take it its not a very good bov? and where would that line on it go to? Thanks again for the help!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Got Boost?

You can use it if you want. It is ok for the Level of boost this turbo makes. I think the 13C starts to superheat the charged air around 16-18+psi. I am running 11psi now and I want to go ~14 with the chips I got.
A CBV (compressor bypass valve) recirculates the air to the intake manifold instead of venting to the atmosphere, like some BOVs (the famous PSSSH sound).
Some block it so they can run an aftermarket BOV, and I have seen some run both the CBV and BOV.
I dont know if the integrahas a MAF or not. If it does, then you will need a recirculating/hybrid BOV or use the built in CBV, forI have heard the MAF cars dont like venting to the atmosphere. It must be pressure sensitive or something.
You will have to connect it to an open nipple on the intake manifold, well that is where it is going on the Volvo.

Side note:
This is a water cooling turbo, so you will need to feed it from your expansion tank, and feedthe return line to the radiator.
Also, I dont what flange you are using so becarefull on the exhaust manifold you get.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:28 PM

Thanks for all your help! My radiator doesnt have another spot for a water line, so im not sure how i would hook that up. I have heard though that a lot of guys just block off the water cooling part of it, how bad would that would be for the turbo? i just want to run 8-11psi on it, and i really dont race my car or drive it fast a lot(jsut when the mood hits me). Couldi just use a water sprayer? like a meth injection but water instead? like an sti? and im not sure how i would hook the cbv up to my intake mani but i might be able to do it to me intake, would that be the same thing? sorry for all the questions but your the only person that has been any help and there isnt any information(at least that I could find) on this turbo.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Got Boost?

I dont know how well it is built to not run the water cooling, but I do know that a lot of the high HP turbos dont use water cooling.
You could probably run 8psi with out the water.You could probably go to the intake. It shouldn't matter.
Check out turbobricks.com for those guys know a lot more about these turbo. Or you can PM (moderator) tech on this site.

Good luck.