Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

supercharge

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharge

Ive been thinking about supercharging my 850 but havent found anything with a reasonable price. Is this just a lost cause or does anyone know anything about this?

Old 11-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Default RE: supercharge

Superchargers are costly kits bro, no way around it. eBay has yielded some less outrageous prices thoug.

If you want to save money, design and assemble your own turbo package. You'd have to read up and get your smarts on, but you can save some money by avoiding the factory kits.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I SUGGEST YOU GO WITH THE TURBO U CAN RUN HIGHER BOOST BESIDES THE SUPERCHARGER NEEDS TO RUN OFF OF YOUR PULLEY SOME DISTANCE AWAY FROM THE INTAKE(I FORESEE CRAZY MODS)KEEP IT SIMPLE TURBO TURBO TURBO..

The following users liked this post:
TreasureState (08-07-2022)
Old 04-13-2005, 11:58 PM

Sounds like a turbo fan...but if you go turbo, make sure you have enough air-flow so that there isn't a sh*t load of lag. Otherwise youll be stuck at 3000rpm and waiting for your turbo to spool. A supercharger is all the power at your fingertips, and none of the wait. A new pulley isn't as much as a blown turbo gasket, or a blown turbo. I suggest a supercharger, even if it is a bit more costly.

BTW, 850 is a nice car!

Old 04-14-2005, 07:52 PM

Any sort of homebuilt turbo kit would require a custom intake as it is, so air-flow is really not a major concern. Of more vital importance is an adequate fuel setup. When you're forcing more air into your combustion chamber you'll need to be feeding it more fuel as well. This means a larger (most likely aftermarket) Fuel Pump like a walbro 190lph or 255lph if you're going all out, bigger injectors (not sure exactly what stockers are on a N/A 850 but I'll guess less than 350cc, an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, possibly a larger fuel rail, and a piggyback computer like an SAFC or complete stand-alone ECU (not sure which one's are compatible with the 850). Might need to upgrade the ignition system as well, a lot of people use the coils from motorcycles for homemade Coil On Plug systems. By using components from factory turbo'd cars you can save a fair amount of money (stock injectors from a DSM are 450cc, fuel pump from a supra or 3KGT, a fuel rail from a Turbo Volvo, intercooler from an older Turbo Volvo etc). And while it might not look as pretty as a store bought kit, you'll get more respect and admiration. As with every project/modification, you can do it cheap or you can do it right.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Go turbo, or better yet buy a turbocharged 850 already. It is costly and you have to buy and take into consideration many things.

Compression
vac lines
turbo lines
intercooloer
couplers
the turbo itsself
pipes
ECU upgrade
Tuning, lots of tuning
bigger injectors
ETC....

Old 02-23-2006, 01:34 PM

go with the sc and put a huge *** blower stickin out the hood too.

then put the confederate flag on the roof, and you can have a swedish AMERICUN car!!

seriously, sc's give a better power band, but 8 bitches in a bitch boat to install if you don't know what youre doing

Old 05-05-2006, 01:18 AM

If you really must have a supercharger, then the easiest one to install that I can think of is the Pro-Charger. First off, you'll need lots of money. Like $5000 as a guess. Then you'll have to locate an authorized Pro-Charger shop near you, and leave the car there for them to work out the install. Pro-Charger doesn't like people installing their product in the driveway, but it's absolutely the best belt driven blower on the market.

The guy who wrote= "Buy an 850 Turbo instead" was really giving you good advice even if it didn't sound like it right away.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:40 PM

If you really must have a supercharger, then the easiest one to install that I can think of is the Pro-Charger.
But they do actually have Volvo model superchargers? I don't see any on their website.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

No, no one does.

A supercharger would have to be a very custom made job. It isn't worth it. The tuning for it would cost a lot too.