Cars not important to youth? - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Cars not important to youth?

Old 09-10-2018, 01:40 PM
Default Cars not important to youth?

Seems like kids today aren't bothering to get their driver's license. The guy across the street from me had to force his daughter (age 18) to go get hers, and promised to buy her a new car if she did. This seems impossible to me. Is the internet making it unnecessary for kids to go hang around together? Or is it just that parents take their kids places so they don't need a license? Or is it some new thing I'm not even aware of because I'm out of touch. I never thought I'd become the crotchety old man saying that he doesn't understand kids....but that's what I'm saying.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:25 PM

Be careful what you believe. Younger people may be waiting a while to get their driver's license but unless you use public transportation, you'll need a car. I've read dozens of stories including those by realtors who predict the demise of all suburbs since young people all want to be downtown.

Yeah, maybe until they get tired of all of the noise, then they'll be looking for the suburbs.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:14 PM

I forced both my kids to get their licenses as soon as I realized they'd be attending 5:30 AM swim practices... When it comes to cars, my son just drives back and forth but knows how to check the oil and call dad when something happens (like when the shift button got stuck on his S40 and he couldn't get the key out). Cars come in handy at college when you need that 2 AM food run across town. My daughter knew how to reset the check engine light on her 95 850T and would watch whenever I manned the wrench. She also knew how to pop the shifter button out and periodically do the shifter row on the 850. Good news is that she's about to get her MD degree and that technical interest will serve her well in her career. Bad news is she may grab a rachet and not the scapel..

Old 10-20-2018, 06:15 AM

Without car no Love. So i think car is very important for youth and youth people.